Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Building a Small Deck

It is now Wednesday morning. I have a front stoop with all the deck boards laid, but no railing yet. My friend is trying to save me money by reusing joist hangers and blocking with end cuts of old 2X6s from the back yard. I appreciate all his efforts, especially because he is working in the warm sun, but it is taking him longer. In the meantime the front of the house is looking pretty good because I keep looking for more front yard projects to keep me close by in case he needs a helping hand. Yesterday I had to look for another exterior extension cord and I provided a second set of hands when he was cutting the deck boards. Before he arrived, I was able to mow the front lawn and I took down my backyard gazebo. I laid the corners up against the side of my shed where I will move them together and sink into the garden bed to use as a decorative trellis.  I put down all the homemade weed killer I had in the driveway. I trimmed all the edges of the front lawn with my shears. I brought a step ladder to the front of the house to remove the screws left behind in the wall after the old shutters were removed, and I washed that part of the vinyl siding that was under the shutters. Those areas were very dusty and dirty. I pruned back hard my forsythia bush with pruning shears and a bow saw.

 When we move around the back to rebuild the back deck in the shade,  I will have more than enough work to keep me busy. Yesterday my riding lawn mower was picked up for servicing. He will call me when he figures out what it will cost. Tomorrow a dumpster is being delivered to the back yard so we can start filling it up. I will have it for one week.

This morning my day started with me leaving shortly after 8 AM for the lumber yard in Kingston to pick up some stain for the end cuts on the pressure treated wood, 2 more deck boards and another 2x4.  My friend has not arrived yet, but that is okay. He is only to come if he feels up to it. I suspect he may have another doctor's appointment.
Such a difference.

4 comments:

  1. You've had another very productive day, Susan! Your garden is probably looking wonderful with all the attention you've been giving it! The deck looks like it is coming along nicely, too! Your trellis looks beautiful, especially against the white siding! Hope your day goes well, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, instead of throwing out the old gazebo because it no longer had the canvas covering and the roof rods were all bent out of shape because of wind damage, I decided I could salvage the corners by straightening them out and using as a trellis. Lots of people told me to get rid of it. It was unsightly and I could never use it again as it was intended. I loved all the detail of "wrought iron" so decided to up cycle them. I think it looks good too. I will let the new owners decide what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is one of the first I read every morning. Your spirit and work ethic help to get me started off right in the mornings! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Diana. So nice to hear from you. Sometimes I wish I had the finances to go along with my "spirit" but I make do. There is always enough work to go around and it keeps me healthy.

    ReplyDelete