Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mother's Day Weekend


What a great weekend I had.  I got up Friday, showered, made a birthday card for my grandson, and then off to Walmart to find a birthday present. Usually I give money to the parents to buy something that the child needs or wants, since the parents should have the final word anyways. But this time, all my grandson would say was that he wanted Nerf guns. My daughter had already fulfilled that wish so she was at a loss for suggestions. His dad on the other hand thought that he had enough and didn't need anything more. Well, that was no help. Grandmas are supposed to buy toys as birthday gifts. At the last minute, my daughter came up with a winning idea....something she overheard him remarking on. So Friday morning I was in Walmart buying "Stick-Bots" ($50 worth of stick bots and accessories, which may sound like a lot, but really isn't) I was happy. My grandson was happy. My 8 year old grand daughter was even happier.
While my grandson and I were off shooting storm troopers with Nerf guns, my grand daughter was "filming" scenes with these stik bots and her mother's phone.
 I was able to fill some helium balloons and tie them with ribbon. That was one of my preparations for the party. My daughter was able to draw storm trooper faces on some of the white balloons which were weighted down so the kids and some of the big people too could shoot at them with Nerf guns or fight them off with light sabers. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of those.
This HUGE R2D2 was a hit at the party. 

 These honeycomb decorations I put together on Friday night and hung them up so my grandson would see them first thing on Saturday morning when he came down to wake me up.
My daughter made this BB8 droid cake  by herself. She has always made her own cakes for the kids' birthday parties.
 Sugar cookies have always been her specialty. She has decorated these ones to look like storm troopers, C3PO, R2D2, and Boba Fett  (characters from the Star Wars series).
The kids had a great time, and so did grandma. My daughter made me my own special pizza crust using keto ingredients like almond flour and psyllium husks. What a special treat for me. On Friday night after I arrived, she made me hamburgers on keto buns she had baked for me. It was the first "bread" I have had in almost a year, which was  really delicious. I have never taken the time to bake myself substitute breads, so I was really beyond excited that she did this for me. And she did it while already being busy with all the party preparations. I stayed a night longer than I had intended and left around 8 o'clock on Sunday morning. My daughter gave me a lovely Mother's Day card and 3 scratch tickets that won me $15. Yay! I stopped at Napanee to pick up a few more groceries for this week.
Fresh veggies cost me $13.16  The bag of sweet peppers and the carton of white mushrooms were on sale for $1.97 each. The avocados were 50% off , so I got two bags.

Dairy cost $16.63
I picked up more stevia and two tins of tuna for $7.33  This stevia I have discovered is not the best buy I could be making. Each packet is equal to 1 tsp of sugar. Usually each packet of sweetener is equal to two tsp., so I have been paying the same for only half the product. Lesson learned. My total groceries cost me $37.12  I also picked up a couple of non-food items for a package I have put together to go up North with my son this coming weekend.

My day ended with my dinner prepared for me at my son's and his fiancee's apartment. It was a wonderful meal and a lovely evening. They had also invited over her family and they are always great company. I stayed behind for a few more minutes so that I could pack up a small parcel for my Dad's birthday, with a card I made earlier in the day. I also wanted to send up the Memory Book I made for my mother with photos of us five small children growing up at home. My son and his fiancee enjoyed looking through those old pictures and they could see a lot of familial features in the generations that I normally would not see until they were pointed out. It was a great reminiscence. I am sure my mom and my sister will appreciate seeing them.

So that was my weekend. How was yours?

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter is an excellent cake and cookie decorator! I, too, used to make my daughter's birthday cakes when she was growing up. Sounds like you had a great weekend, Susan. I am so glad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think she is a fantastic baker; but, she didn't learn it from me.

    ReplyDelete