Thursday, May 31, 2018

Dinner and a Show

It was another busy day yesterday.....and very, very hot. My friend's wife brought her husband here and dropped him off before she had to leave to take her daughter to a medical appointment. She would be back at the end of the day to pick him up. In the meantime, I set about taking apart an old planter with shelves that I once used to store my extra pots and planters. Now it was literally falling apart. I emptied the soil from the planter itself and spread it out on one of my garden beds (where I placed the up cycled trellises.) Then I took the planter and shelves apart piece by piece, with hammer and crowbar, and threw it atop the wood pile that is waiting to go into the dumpster.  I removed crates of old leftover tiles (ceramic and slate) and glass bottles. I moved all the old pots to a new location, ( I will probably get rid of most of those) before I pulled out the tall weeds and mowed down the rest. I pruned back some wild grape vines that were trying to grow along the top of the fence. I really need to buy more vinegar this week to make some more weed killer to spray down that whole area. There are some bricks laid down there, but the weeds have grown in all the cracks. When it is cleaned up, it will be a perfect place to store the snow blower during the "off-season".
Here is that infamous wood pile that is waiting to go into the dumpster. It holds the remains of the back deck that was torn down last summer, the front stoop, the big old planter I took apart yesterday, some old fence panels, and several pails of glass and tile and generally old hardware. That 4x4 structure is being torn down and the deck it is sitting on as well. To the right, not shown, is another pile of old metal pieces which I will take to the metal scrapyard, to try to earn some money back. The cement bird bath I will probably give to my brother, if he wants it. I can't wait to have this area cleaned up again.

My friend's wife came back about 2:30 to pick him up. She just had a call from the hospital that they wanted to perform a scan on her husband at 3 PM, so he had to leave immediately. That was fine by me. It was getting so incredibly hot. I brought in the laundry from the line to fold and then I took a shower. I was meeting with some friends for dinner at Swiss Chalet and then we were going to watch "The Book Club" at the movies. But before I left, I got a call from the aggregate company that they could deliver my 3 yards of gravel right away. So I waited for the delivery.
Besides last year's 5 yards and yesterday's 3 yards, I think I can open up my own gravel pit. At least this will keep me busy in my spare time.

The weather this morning is so much cooler than it has been, Whew. There is a lovely breeze and I have some windows open and the fans are on. It is clouding over, trying to decide if it might rain or not. We are expecting rain in the next two days, but tomorrow is the higher probability for thunder storms. It would be really nice if I were to get a day off from having to work outside. My inside has been so badly neglected. But it is ALL work that needs to be done.  Shortly after 7 AM, my dumpster arrived. I was not expecting it to be delivered so soon, but here it is.
 It is 10x30 with doors that open in the back so we can walk in. We should be able to get a massive amount inside, because we will be able to stack it properly as opposed to throwing it in over the top. I only have one week to fill it up, so guess what I will be doing for the next seven days?  What are your plans for the weekend?


2 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, glad to see that you have some gravel to spade up in your spare time, Susan. We wouldn't want you feeling bored with nothing to do! LOL!

    Once again, you accomplished so much and in the heat, too! One of my cousins (from Australia) and her husband are visiting their daughter in Canada and they have said it was 31C! That's warmer than what we are, over here, right now! I wish I could come up and help you this weekend, but I've a funeral and a bridal shower to attend on Saturday - Sunday might be free, though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Darn. It sounds like you are tied up with other things to do this weekend and won't be able to help me load the dumpster after all. I guess I could have planned it better, but if I waited until later in the summer it will definitely be warmer than 31C. Too bad you will miss all the FUN. *laugh*

    It sounds strange that on the day you attend your uncle's funeral, you will also be going to a bridal shower. But that is life carrying on after all. It is a clear reminder that family continues.

    ReplyDelete