Thursday, May 10, 2018

Working On Getting My Weekly Chores Done

Yesterday turned into a very busy day. I wrote down what I hoped to accomplish but didn't get through half the list. I guess I expected too much of myself, and I certainly didn't account for all the time needed to complete all the items.

I started by trimming the front lawn that I had mowed the day before. I cannot operate the gas powered trimmer, so I use grass shears to trim around the edges....takes FOR.EV.ER, but it looks great. And now all the flower beds in the front yard are weeded and looking wonderful. I even managed to dig up some of the weeds in the driveway. Note to self....I need to make some more of my salt and vinegar weed killer. I sprayed myself with bug repellent before going outside, but I still managed to get bitten badly. I got a couple of bites behind one ear, and they are driving me crazy.

I also rooted out some dead wood from one of my shrubs and picked up a lot of dead twigs and branches that came down during the winter. When I took wheel barrow loads back to my compost pile, I noticed that a huge major branch came down in last Friday's wind storm. My neighbour offered to cut down that tree last summer but hadn't got around to it yet. I am thinking that he will likely want to get it done now. All in all, I spent 3 hours out of doors yesterday morning and didn't come in for lunch until 1 o'clock.


 My Bleeding Hearts are just starting to come out in the background, with daffodils still blooming.
 One of my circular beds with edges trimmed and grass removed from between the edging blocks.
Forget-me-nots just starting to bloom. I love Spring for the number of new blooms that appear each day.


I am just dying to start in the backyard where I have not yet cleaned up the flower beds and they are already filling out with Springtime blooms.

Back indoors, I cut up the pork loin into chops and one small roast. I shredded a cabbage and sauteed in butter, to which I added cooked ground beef and onions for dinner last night. I worked all afternoon on finishing up the Memory Book for my Mom by adding names to the photos and embellishments to the pages. I didn't stop for dinner until 8 o'clock. She will not be receiving it in time for Mother's Day, so I will send it along with my son when he goes up north to Elliot Lake two weeks from now. In the meantime, I ordered some cut flowers to be delivered tomorrow for my Mom and made a handmade card for her today. That also will not be received for Mother's Day, so I explained in the card that my intention was to stretch out her Special Day for as long as possible. After all, I just spent two weeks up there with her. That should also count for something. I went to the Post Office to mail the card and also to pick up another roll of 50 stamps because I am completely out. The only "break" I took was to drive into Amerstview to pick up a prescription.

Before I make my veggie and sausage casserole with cheese for dinner, I would like to go outside to trim back my clematis. I noticed yesterday that it has already started new growth. It is too late to trim my hydrangea,  so I will just let it go for this summer. I also forgot to pick up new garbage bags since coming back home, so I was not able to put out my garbage this morning. I have since added it to my To-Do list. I was able to pick up a clear plastic filing bin while in Elliot Lake, so I have been able to start my paper filing. I sold my antique desk with drawers, so now I need an alternative solution to filing my little bit of paperwork. My present desk holds my desktop computer with hideaway keyboard shelf, but no drawers. Tomorrow I will be heading off to Bradford to have a sleep-over with the grand kids and help prepare for the Star Wars birthday party for my grandson turning seven. I guess I need to make another birthday card tonight. I will probably return Saturday late afternoon after the party because I am invited to my son's and fiancee's for Mother's Day on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend and I will catch up with you later.

2 comments:

  1. Such a busy and productive day! Your garden is looking so pretty with all the spring flowers! Nice of you to extend Mother's Day over a period of days and weeks for your mother! I am sure she will enjoy that, rather than having just one day of celebrations.

    Sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you with lots of family time! Enjoy your grandson's birthday party and your own Mother's Day with your son and his fiancée. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't that nice of me to extend the celebrations over a couple of weeks? Ha,ha. That is what I told her, but in reality that is how it is working out because I don't have my act together. As usual, my projects are late. That is what I always told my kids when I got their packages in the mail late. They caught on quickly though, so it has always been an inside joke. But you are right. I think she will enjoy receiving reminders of Mother's Day over several days.

    ReplyDelete