Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Another Tuesday. Another Cravings Workshop.

Last Tuesday's workshop stuck with me all week, so I paid attention to what I was eating in the evening and why I was reaching for snacks. I am already very aware of my problem areas, but I was looking for possible distractions and strategies that might work for me. However, as I had not yet read through the handouts and the assigned workbook all week, I sat down this morning after breakfast and got the job done. I was able to put some ideas down.

I ate leftovers from last night's dinner for my lunch at noon because I needed to leave at 12:30 for my 1:30-3:30 workshop downtown. I stopped at the post office to pick up my mail and to send off some more Halloween cards. Then I drove to my bank to buy a roll of loonies ($1 coins) to feed the meter. It was a very good discussion at today's workshop and I was able to share my experiences with the group. On the way home, I stopped at No Frills to buy groceries (hopefully the last one for this month)
Frozen produce cost $23
Fresh produce cost $5.95  Four zucchini cost $3.98, but the 5 lb bag of rutabaga was only $1.97
I bought more meat for $26.46 (lean ground chicken, 3 chicken legs with backs attached and ground beef was on sale for $2.97 a lb)
My biggest expenditure, dairy, cost $35.73
Pantry items (and more Halloween candy) cost me $25.38, for a total cost of $118.41, incl. tax.
I know I already bought 2 boxes of 50 bars each, but I like to hand out 2 small bite-sized treats to each child, and I plan for 100 children. I use any leftovers in some of the grand kids Advent calendars, and I can use any other leftovers after that to make treats for the upcoming Amherst Island Christmas craft sale in November. I have no problems using up the chocolate leftovers. Don't worry about me binging  on chocolate. I have been true to my Keto diet and do not crave sugar or carbohydrates any longer.

Since writing my last blog post, I have finished a fifth Xmas project and started making my Christmas cards. ANYTHING, to keep from doing housework. Haha.

3 comments:

  1. I think, for many of us, food is a source of comfort. We reach for food when we want to feel good and we don't necessarily reach for a stalk of broccoli or a piece of fruit, but something we identify as being more satisfying, which is usually high in calories and not so good for us, nutritionally.

    You did very well with your grocery shopping. I can see how your house might become the favorite house in the neighborhood for trick-or-treaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a few strategies last night. I did not eat in front of a screen. I ate dinner late, around 7:30, at the dining room table. I put everything away and turned out the kitchen and dining room lights before sitting in the living room and reading some flyers while having my last cup of tea. Around 8:15, I turned on the screen and watched a one-hour episode of Bosch on Amazon Prime. When that episode was over, I allowed myself one bowl of yoghurt with blueberries at the dining room table again. I cleaned up, turned on the dishwasher and went upstairs "to bed". Actually, I watched some more screen time on my tablet before falling asleep. I don't eat in bed, so that is safe. I will do this for the week before making other changes (like determining serving sizes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. One small change at a time and one day at a time. I am guilty of eating in front of a screen!

    ReplyDelete