Thursday, June 4, 2020

Auntie Susan, the Dog-Sitter

My sister and her husband had a medical appointment in Sudbury today to see her oncologist.  He confirmed there will not be any chemo, but there will be drug therapy. I had little Rocky for most of the day. After his obligatory walk around the block, we stayed inside. I didn't go outside to work until after he left for his house. I only stayed outside for an hour...just enough time to remove the sod and shake out the dirt from the section I previously dug up.
 I will do the same on this side that I did on the opposite side of the sidewalk for my veggie garden. I will dig down about 6 inches and sift out all the large roots and stone in the topsoil. Layers of cardboard and newsprint will lay down over a layer of black plastic. I will back fill with the sifted soil before adding my triple mix of black soil, peat moss and manure. This is where I will plant any perennials I have. There is already a clump of irises in this area. I will have to leave it mostly untouched until early Fall, if I want to move them. There are already buds, though I don't know what colour they are.
I am hoping I have enough energy and motivation to clear the whole area down to the end of the sidewalk. If not, I will go as far as I can before I put up a weed barrier and leave the rest for this Fall or next Spring. Slow and steady wins the race.

I picked up a few things from my sister's place yesterday. She was cleaning up her backyard and shed and gifted me with some items she no longer wanted and that I can use to "decorate" my yard space. I also grabbed some forget-me-nots from her lawn that she didn't want growing in her grass. For not spending any money on plants, I am hoping to have a pretty nice outdoor space by the start of summer.

2 comments:

  1. I think my comment disappeared! I just commented that I'm glad to hear that your sister doesn't need chemo and that you continue to make good progress in your garden. It is going to look lovely when all the flowers bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. Don't you just hate when that happens. After spending all that time and effort into writing a response and then losing it all, it is difficult to be inspired to write it all again. I do appreciate that you did however.

    Yes, we are thrilled that my sister does not need to undergo chemo. That was bothering her more than the actual double mastectomy.

    Thank you for the comment about the continuing progress to my yard. Other people have been making the same comments to me....that they love seeing the progress. Of course, I don't see it that way. I see little progress compared to all the hard work that is going into it. In fact, after working another hour and a half today, I didn't bother taking a photo because it didn't look any different than when I started. So it means a lot to hear that others can see it.

    ReplyDelete