Tuesday, June 23, 2020

More Hard Labour

I had plans for the day, but when "Dee" asked if I could help her move some concrete blocks and a pile of sand, I agreed to help. She has people coming this weekend to install a hydrolic lift for my dad to be able to leave the house. He is very frail and has to be moved by wheelchair now. There is no way to build a ramp. There is just not the physical space for the required angle of slope. In order to install the lift, a cement pad had to be poured and the existing block landing and steps had to be removed. A new wooden deck and steps will replace the blocks. "Dee" had already dismantled most of the steps herself but time is running out. I loaded the concrete blocks into the back of my van. I will be able to make use of them in constructing my garden spaces. We also removed more than half the sand pile. We have until Saturday to remove the rest.

I got home at noon and had lunch shortly afterwards with some iced tea I made this morning before leaving the house. Can you guess what I did next? Slept on the couch, of coarse. When I awoke I realized that I did not receive my call from the Township. As of tonight, they never did call me. If I don't get a call by noon tomorrow, I will phone again.

I did not get my vacuuming done again today. I guess it will wait for me. My spray painted items were dry. I brought them inside the house last night, knowing that it would rain during the night. I also made two cards with my new stamp and die set.



4 comments:

  1. OH my, what a huge project. I hope the lift installation goes well. We were very fortunate that Mom's front yard could accommodate the ramp. We are actually leaving the ramp up until we Gert through cleaning out the house because it makes life much easier for us to roll things out to the car rather than having to lug them.
    Moving sand is no fun__ever! I would be toast afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely having the ramp would be helpful right now in moving things out of the house. It will be interesting to hear what the real estate agent thinks about leaving it installed during the sale of the house. It MIGHT be a selling feature. Certainly it could be removed at the request of the buyer if that were not the case.

      Yes, it is a huge job. This pile of sand is more like cement. It is well compacted and most of my effort went into chiseling it with an iron bar and a shovel to break it up, before we could actually shovel it up. It was certainly an aerobic exercise, with a lot of breaks for catching my breath.

      Delete
  2. That is, indeed, a big project! I'm sure "Dee" was glad of your help! You certainly deserved to take a nap, afterwards!

    Sorry to hear that the Township didn't return your phone call. Hope they get back to you, tomorrow.

    That little bird ornament is so cute! And your cards are lovely!

    Yes, your vacuuming will wait. I have planned to vacuum, tomorrow, but, whether it will actually happen is anyone's guess! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very happy to receive these small items for the garden. Until I have flowers they serve as small points of interest. They were "cast-offs" from my sister and "Dee". That little bird is broken. There is a huge piece missing at the back and the paint was peeled off most of it. I saved it from the trash for another year (or more), by spray painting it all over with the gray enamel paint and nestling it into the base of the fountain so no one sees it has a huge piece missing from the back. The pagoda likewise painted in the same gray enamel paint, looks more like a stone sculpture than the peeled paint plastic thingie that I brought home. It is amazing the transformation that a little paint can provide.

    ReplyDelete