Monday, October 5, 2015

Milk in bags

A bag of milk

First of all, my apologies to friends and family that live west of Ontario. I thought milk sold in bags
was a Canadian thing. Apparently it is not. It is an Ontario and Eastern Canada thing. To my
American friends, we can still buy milk in cartons but it is more expensive. It can be handy though if you
only want to buy one or two litres. Here is a link to a Toronto Star online article if you NEED to do
 some research.
 
 http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2010/02/04/so_we_drink_milk_from_bags_does_that_make_us_weird.html






We buy skim milk and 2% milk, and sometimes my son buys himself some regular homogenized milk, so we have three different coloured jugs to keep them distinguishable from each other. Bagged milk also freezes beautifully. This is your cultural experience for the day. 
 
Getting tired of seeing beans yet? I am. Hopefully though, we will enjoy them for several months.

I washed and snipped more beans this morning....also my poor little peppers. There may be enough there to put on a homemade pizza (or two) sometime this week.

Green tomatoes I brought in to ripen on the kitchen window sill. As they ripen, I can remove the stem end and any blemishes and put them in a quart freezer bag in the freezer. As the bag gets full to the top, that is about equivalent to a large can of tomatoes. I do not blanch. Because they are frozen, the skins slip right off. My tomatoes did not do well this year, but I know why. Next year I will plant them out in the garden in full sun and look after them properly.

I have not wrapped up one single thing yet for the Advent calendar, so I am doing that this afternoon. I had leftover split pea soup for lunch and I will do something with the leftover roast beef that I cooked on Friday for tonight's supper. I always have leftovers in the fridge that we normally eat up for lunches. I guess I am still cooking for when I had all the kids at home. My dad says I cook like "it's a threshing". That refers to the fact that he grew up on the farm when all the neighbours would help each other out at harvest, and the farmer's wife and family cooked up a huge mid-day meal for all the workers with platters full and several varieties of everything to choose from. Really, I'm not that bad.

Have a productive rest of the day. 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation and the article! I watch the Youtube video referred to in the article and... as they said "Ontario, the world has seen your milk drinking habits, and the world now thinks you’re a weirdo." LOL. Why wouldn't you just pour the milk from the bag into the pitcher and get a cover for the pitcher? I don't get that. I do see that it generates 75% less waste, which is something commendable. I wonder how I would be able to store the equivalent of 3 gallons of milk in my fridge (which is what I have usually) if it came in bags... that would be a whole lot of pitchers that would take too much space, I guess. I'd probably pay something to send me an empty gallon jug that I could reuse over and over, LOL.

    Back in France, we only used UHT milk that came in 1L bricks. I still get those here for hurricane season. People say the milk tastes different but I don't taste a difference. I guess I don't have a gourmet milk palate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting on the difference in the milk. It sounds like something we should all do to save on the waste across the world. Sounds like a great solution!! We don't use that much but I buy a big gallon because it turns out to be near the same cost no matter what I do and then when it is getting close to expiration, I make pancakes, waffles, bread and rolls with the rest. It helps me to stock up on things and fill the freezer with all the baked stuff. I would totally buy it in a bag especially if I could get it cheaper!!

    ReplyDelete