Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Busy weekend

The weather this past weekend was absolutely gorgeous. Silly me, I spent most of it indoors. Saturday I should have been outside because there was no where that I was expected to be. I was finishing up my stash of Thanksgiving cards. I didn't mail any out this year like I usually do, so I wanted to make sure I had enough with me to bring to friends and family I would be visiting with this weekend. Below is the stash I made.
Handmade cards
My son and his GF, with my husband's help, pulled the  trailer bed up closer to the back of the house.It used to be a 16 foot travel trailer, but they spent many weekends demolishing it down to the floor frame. 
Exterior


They ripped everything out of the aluminum trailer and decided if there was anything worth keeping. I think they saved the old hardware and hinges from the kitchen cabinet doors and the aluminum itself to cash in at the recycling plant.

This is all that is left to start building their Tiny House. Have you heard of them? 
 
One of our fabulous Thanksgiving meals. 

Sunday we drove to Charleston Lake for a 2 P.M. dinner for 10 people. My friend always serves a banquet of vegetables with her turkey and dressing. This year was no different ......carrots, corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnip, squash, brussel sprouts, and coleslaw. And dinner doesn't start until I arrive to make the gravy. I don't know how many years now I have done this. My friend can make gravy, but it has become my job. For dessert  there were sugar cookies, chocolate chip and gingerbread cookies, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and of course, pumpkin pie.  

Yesterday before we left home  for Smith Falls at 12:30,  we went to vote at the Advance Poll and stood in line for a full hour. I will be away with the girls next Monday on Election Day, so it was imperative that I cast my vote before I leave. My husband decided to vote with me, so he doesn't have to go out next Monday.  It will be very interesting to see what the voter turnout will be this time around. 

 My contribution to the meal was  3 bunches of broccoli with sauteed red, orange and yellow strips of pepper. You can see my dish right behind the two bottles of wine. Behind my dish are two beautiful cauliflower that my brother roasted whole, with a coating of mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese and sitting in a tomato based sauce. Yummy.  There were nine of us for  this late afternoon turkey dinner. We started with a creamy potato and leek soup and ended with apple pie, pumpkin pie, or apple crisp. I got my fill of pumpkin pie over the last two days, which will have to last me until next year.  

This morning I put the other three bunches of broccoli that we bought Sunday morning into freezer bags. I peeled all of the tough broccoli stems, and chopped up the tender broccoli stalks into another freezer bag to use up as veggie sides or to add to soups and stews. I also froze the tough stem peelings to simmer with other peelings to make veggie stock. I had saved the turkey drippings from the roasting pan last weekend, after taking off the fat, and today I made it into a huge pot of turkey vegetable soup. I added some pieces of turkey meat  I had saved in the freezer. The soup was done in time for me to have two servings for my lunch. 

The day had started out with rain, but when the weather cleared, I washed  up a super load of whites and lights and hung them outside. I fried two pounds of ground beef with peppers, celery and onions to make some meals tomorrow for the boys while I am away next week. I am cooking up a third pound of ground beef tonight as a meatloaf for supper. I should be busy in the kitchen for the rest of the week. 

5 comments:

  1. I had my weeks mixed up and thought that you were away at your Girls' Weeklong Vacation this week!

    That's some good eating you did this past weekend, lol! Your friend's tableware is pretty. It's so nice that you have traditions like this.

    Your cards are beautiful, you are really talented. Those cards could be sold in stores! I'm sure your friends and family appreciate them very much.

    What election did you vote in? Our Election Day is November 3 and this year we have to elect one of our little town's council members and vote for or against renewing the penny tax that funds schools and more things around here. So it'll be quick. Our polling station is usually empty when we get there.

    So your son and his GF are going to build their own tiny home? Will they then live on your property or look for land of their own? I have been fascinated with the idea of tiny homes for several years but I don't think I could ever live in one. I like having my "stuff" about me too much. Like my 10 spatulas, for instance. LOL. Greg flat out refuses. It would be nice not to have to stress about household chores so much, though. Good luck to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is our Federal Election. Unlike the United States, where elections seem to go on for years *laugh*, this is short and sweet. Actually, at 78 days this election period has been one of the longest in history. They are usually half as long. Voter interest has been high during this campaign and for much of it, the three main parties have been quite close.

    I am also fascinated by Tiny Houses, but could never give up what I have at this stage of my life. My crafting supplies would not fit inside, for one. But I am infatuated by the whole concept. They will be building on our property and perhaps staying through one winter, with the idea of buying their own property. So I will be getting my "fix" for Tiny Homes by watching the whole process and perhaps getting involved with part of it.

    Thank you for the kind comments on my card making. I love doing them. When I tell you that your photos affixed to card stock would make gorgeous cards, I truly mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    Your cards are beautiful. There is nothing nicer than receiving a lovely card, I think more thought often goes into a card than a presents.

    Wow what an amazing spread you had for your thanksgiving dinner. I wish we had thanksgiving it seems a nice time for family and friends to get together where as Christmas is a more of a close family celebration.

    A tiny home what a good idea, we could definitely do with those in the UK. House prices here have gone out of control and young people really find it difficult to get on the housing ladder.

    I think I could live in a tiny home but my other half certainly couldn't. He likes his things and I am always trying to get rid of them ha ha. I must drive him nuts! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that tiny homes are definitely for the young. They don't seem to have the same attachment to "stuff" as my generation. They are more inclined to put their money into doing things, events, and travel. I guess home is where you hang your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loves watching the tiny house show on the HGTV. It is so fun to watch people build these cute little houses. I know that we could never live in one but I respect the choice and wish that we could do something so neat. That is awesome that they gutted everything to get ready for it!! Can't wait to see more pictures as they are doing construction!! We started doing metal recycling with our renovation and my husband has gotten a little bit of money on things that we never thought to save before. It is such a neat thing to try and I wish that it was more regular pricing but we have boxes of stuff in the garage to take because the prices tanked and my husband refused to take it in and not get a good value. Of well! I was just hoping to clear out the garage and be able to park in the garage :) I have goals but we are still in construction so I know that it is going to be awhile before we get to use that darn garage :(

    ReplyDelete