Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A Day of Socializing

I slept until 8:15 this morning before crawling out of bed. I dressed and came downstairs instead of taking a shower. I checked over my To-Do list to pick out the deep-cleaning activity for today while having my two cups of coffee, face-timing with "Dee", and unloading the dishwasher while making my 2 egg omelet. Then I went upstairs to throw a load of laundry in the washer and have my shower and wash my hair.

Yesterday my job was washing the inside and outside of each pane of glass in all SIX French doors downstairs. That was a lot of washing. I was going to use Windex and paper toweling on them afterwards, but I think I picked too big a job for one day, and because the windows look so great already, I decided that if I have time later on, I will clean them again. So today I decided to wash the stairs, banister and railings. Again, it was a huge job, so I decided early that I would just wash the railings and banister going downstairs, and save the banister and railings around the top of the loft for tomorrow. I was just finishing up when I got a call from my son and my DIL. She had a break between classes and wanted to come out for a visit. We had lunch together and had a couple of hours visiting before they had to go back into town. Soon after I got ready to leave for Kingston myself. We were meeting at a restaurant to celebrate another friend's birthday. I should have brought Christmas cards with me but didn't think of it. The next birthday celebration isn't until February.

It snowed today and is supposed to continue all through the night. This snow is sticking and the trees look very pretty. I forgot to turn off my outside Christmas lights yesterday before going into town to help move a cedar chest for a friend of mine. So they were on to greet my arrival last night and also tonight. With snow, they look especially festive. 

 Some simple decorating inside my house. Old Christmas baubles in a hurricane glass with fake snow (from the Dollar Store) poured over top.

Different kinds of snowflakes gathered over the years are strung up with fishing line against one wall from the ceiling.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your day was wonderful! How nice for you to get to also enjoy your outdoor lights. I may steal your idea for the hurricane lamp...that is something I think even I could do! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not be stealing from me, as I don't have any original ideas. I also "borrow" from other places. As long as you use a clear glass receptacle like a vase or a pitcher, this would work. Also, you could use pine cones or coloured lights. Old baubles were what I had.

      Delete
  2. You got some deep cleaning done, in addition to socializing, so that was a very nicely balanced day, I should say. I'm sure your Christmas lights look lovely and welcoming.

    Your holiday decorations are lovely, too. I, too, might steal your idea for the baubles. I don't have a glass hurricane lamp, but I have a footed glass dish. I might have to leave it in the china cabinet, however, to keep it from Dancer who might be tempted to play with the pretty glass balls (he likes to bat at them when they are on the tree and chase them around the house when they fall off!)

    I like the snowflakes idea, too, and how the room is reflected in the mirrored window. Almost like a holiday greetings card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a balanced day, wasn't it? Yesterday I was able to finish off the deep cleaning of the banister and railings started the day before, made the packaging for my card gift sets, AND got started on signing and addressing my Christmas cards. Another fine balance.

      The footed glass dish would work splendidly. I hear you about leaving it on display in your cabinet. Dancer would most certainly want to play with it. I remember finding a small red Christmas bauble somewhere this summer when I was cleaning. There has not been a cat in the house in ;almost two years. *laugh*

      Delete