Monday, November 5, 2018

Daybook:Monday, Nov. 5/18

I started working on another Christmas gift project after I had my breakfast this morning. I have decided to take a wee break and have a cup of hot tea. Since we had our sunshine for the month yesterday, we are facing another rainy day today and I am feeling the chill of another cloudy day. This is the seventh gift in the works, and I will just keep making them (and taking photos) until I run out of time and/or materials.

Outside my window.....it is wet, and green. The plants are doing well. A lot of autumn leaves are down off the trees and that makes for some slippery roads where a lot of wet leaves lie.

I am thinking.....of the great evening I enjoyed on Saturday as my friends gathered to celebrate one of us turning 70. I spent WAY TOO much money however on a seafood trio of salmon, grilled shrimp and lobster tail with a side of broccoli. But it isn't every day I go out to have a restaurant meal, so this was indeed a special treat.

I am thankful for.....a great bunch of friends. I am getting together this coming weekend with a different group of friends on Amherst Island to make Christmas crafts and have a potluck dinner. We also have been doing this together for several years and it has become a tradition to prepare a table of crafts to sell at the Island Christmas sale and luncheon the following weekend.

From the kitchen.....I shredded and sauteed another cabbage yesterday to eat later this week. Last night, I roasted the four chicken legs with backs attached with the last of my "10 things farm chicken seasoning" to have last night, for lunch today and dinner tonight. I repackaged the 9 Italian sausage and put away in the freezer.

I am wearing.....the same things I wore yesterday. I have on blue jeans and a light gray knit sweater with  a flutter hemline and long flutter sleeves. This was one of the tops that my friend from Charleston Lake gifted me after the dinner Saturday. She gave me two tops, a jacket and a practically brand new pair of white running shoes. The two tops are too big for her now, as she is also losing weight. I have this outfit paired with gray and red striped socks. I love this sweater!

I am creating.....Christmas gifts and Christmas cards.

I am going.....to Shopper's Drug Mart in Amerstview to spend some points on small stocking stuffers for my "Big Kids" (my married children and their spouses). Yes,  I have made them a handmade gift; but I also throw in a few gag gifts and candy so they have some small things from me to open on Christmas morning. Then they will also have a bit of money to buy something for themselves from me. I don't think I will go today because I need to figure out exactly what I want to look for and make a list. But I would really like to get my parcel mailed out to BC as soon as I can.

I am hoping.....to make as many handmade gifts this year as possible. I have supplies for 14, so I will just keep going until I run out of time.

I am hearing.....the occasional sound of traffic on wet roads, a crow somewhere in the distance, the hum of my computer; and then the blower of the furnace starts, drowning out all the other noise.

Around the house.....my housework (like dusting, decluttering, vacuuming, etc.) is on hold while I tackle these other Christmas chores.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....are flexible. I don't have any appointments to attend except for the crafting workshop on the Island this weekend.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....

My garden is done. (This is for your benefit, Bless) There is still some interest from the seed heads, grasses and leaves that have changed colour. Texture is also an important element of a garden when there are no flowers to look at. All of this will soon be blanketed in snow.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you, Susan! Your garden is lovely! I zoomed in on it and drooled over all the pretty plants! This is a lot like how I would like my front garden to look! I should try growing some sedum, it's supposed to be drought tolerant.

    Sounds like you had a great time at your friend's birthday celebration (even if you spent too much - but that's what a treat is all about, isn't it?) and I am glad you have another get together with other friends to do crafts, next weekend. That, too, sounds like a fun activity. :)

    Well done on all your Christmas gifts making! I haven't got back to it, myself, after I put everything away before the prayer gathering. I don't want to mess up the place with bits of fabric and thread! But I need to get back to it or I won't have enough time to do anything!

    Stay warm and dry and please, if you can, send some of that rain my way! Hope you have a great week, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. As you know, these are all perennials that are fairly "drought" tolerant for our summers, by our standards. I don't ever water these plants, so I bring out a planter in the springtime where I can grow some colourful annuals and water them by bringing a pitcher from the house. It also provides colour between blooms, as my perennials only flower for a brief time (and not all at the same time). P.S. I'd LOVE to send you some of our rain.

      Delete