Sunday, November 4, 2018

Back to the Grind

I haven't been working on Christmas lately because I needed to take a couple of days to come up with some decorations for the important birthday that we celebrated last night at Red Lobster. The guest of honour is the first one in our group of friends (who go away for a girls' weekend every year), who is turning 70. That is a huge milestone.  (My Sweetie would have turned 70 this year).

Anyways, some of us felt that we should do something for the occasion. We decided that true friends would embarrass her, if we truly cared. On Friday I got together with another lady in the group to decorate a plastic tablecloth. It came with pictures of cupcakes around the outer edges, but the centre of the tablecloth was plain white. I made some stencils of the number 70 in different sizes (up to 5 1/2 inches) and using different fonts using my Cricut and different cartridges that I own, and then we used a black permanent Sharpie to trace the numeral stencils all over the top of the tablecloth. We did a fantastic job. I don't have a picture of that. Sorry!

Last night we arrived at the restaurant early to set up the table with our beautifully designed table cover, a tall vase with a fake autumn arrangement of sunflowers, coloured leaves, and bull rushes. I brought a tall arrangement so I would have something to stick my sign into. The dowel I used was 3 feet tall.
There was no missing this sign when one entered the restaurant. All of us party goers, except for the guest of honour, wore name plates that said "Not Me".
 On the table were two 8x11 inch acrylic frames with information on them. One had a list of "Twenty celebrities that are as old as --------. " The other had  "Other historical events from the year 1948". I am so sorry about the photo quality here. I still have not figured out why my tablet does not focus sometimes, and I can't tell until I download. So I have taken a photo again of the first sign I did that I needed to re-do because I had missed writing in the fact that Canada has had 13 different Prime Ministers in -------'s lifetime.

The party was a total blast. We all had a wonderful time and the wait staff at the restaurant were absolutely terrific. They helped to make the evening a resounding success. The guest of honour protested just a little, but was very pleased with the fuss that we made in her honour. She took the placards home with her.

So today, it was back to work again. I completed another 8 card fronts, chopped and sauteed a head of cabbage for meals this week, and I prepared another Christmas project to work on this evening.  All the kid's Advent calendar gifts are accounted for and wrapped and ready to go to the recipients. I did up two loads of laundry and hung them upstairs to air dry. Today was our first sunny day since Tuesday and I am feeling pretty good about that. Hope you all had a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, I am sure your friend was thrilled to bits! You and your other friends definitely made her day! It was very kind of you to do this for her. Yes, 70 is a milestone and (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like doing crafty things with paper, so this was a lot of fun for me. The placards I printed up made for interesting reading among all of us. I was actually quite anxious about how she would receive all the attention, especially in a public place, but I am sure she was pleased.

      Delete