Thursday, July 28, 2016

Doldrums

Full Definition of doldrums. 1 : a spell of listlessness or despondency. 2 often capitalized : a part of the ocean near the equator abounding in calms, squalls, and light shifting winds. 3 : a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump.

This sounds exactly where I have spent the last few days. The weather certainly seems to be somewhere near the equator (hot and moist) and we have had the occasional storm flare ups with winds shifting from every direction (both literally and figuratively), but it is the condition of inactivity, listlessness, stagnation and despondency that has confirmed my position. I am indeed in "The Doldrums". 

I have been trying very hard to keep my head above the surface of the water. I have been getting up in the mornings and going about my routine. (dishes, meals and laundry).  I have not been motivated to do housework, but I have been stamping and colouring and making a few cards. Over the past couple of days, I have been outside to check on the status of my veggie garden and have brought in two cucumbers so far, that my Sweetie and I have made into cucumber sandwiches. Yum. 
First cucumber from the garden

Here are two cards I made to send out in the mail sometime next week. Because we are going  to our granddaughter's birthday on Saturday, my husband and I had already decided that we would stop into both the Guelph and Cobourg hospitals to visit for a very short while on the way into and back from  Bradford. My sister called again last night to report that my mother is not doing well at all. They have had to restrain her in bed because she keeps attempting to get out of bed to walk on her broken leg. She is convinced she is a prisoner and that the hospital staff is trying to kill her. Because her family has put her in there, we are all part of the conspiracy. I am not at all surprised by her reactions because I have seen the steady decline over the years and especially during this past year when I have spent time with her alone for days at a time; but, my sister is really taking this hard. I don't think she has realized how bad it had become, or she has been in denial. But there it is. 

Two get well cards made for my mom and for my step-dad.

I also made quite a few Birthday cards, four of which I have mailed out already. As usual, I didn't take pictures of the ones that are gone. I will try to do better taking photos to post after the cards have been received. Below is the card I will be giving to my granddaughter turning seven on the 31st. 

Birthday card for my  granddaughter
I love this stamp and have used it often to make birthday, get well, thank you, encouragement cards....even Valentine's and Easter/Springtime cards. That sweet little girl stamp is called "Natalie"

2 comments:

  1. You've had an emotional week with a wedding and then getting hit with the news about your mom's fall and now having to deal with the emotional response from your sister. So it's perfectly understandable that you feel drained and not wanting to do much. Take care of yourself and if it means spending several days doing something that brings you joy and peace (crafting) so be it. At least you're doing something productive. I'd be reading blogs, eating bonbons and watching bad TV shows.

    I'm so sorry that your mom's state is deteriorating. It's a very hard thing to deal with. Do you still think that she'll be able to be reunited with her husband?

    Oh hey, they mispelled my name on that stamp :) I looked just like that when I was little... blond piggytails. Nowadays I insist that I'm a blonde and my kids and Greg howl with laughter because my hair has been a mousy brown for years... well, ever since they can remember.

    ((HUGS)). Get some mental rest, the chores are always endless anyway so who cares if you skip a few days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I guess I am taking a mental health holiday. I am using the focus of crafting to keep my mind occupied and I am rejuvenating my spirit, which does feel trampled on this week. I told my Sweetie yesterday that I am glad for a hobby like card-making. The results are tangible.

    A friend of mine yesterday reminded me that the pain killers they have her on is compounding the confusion she already is feeling. Once the pain meds are sorted out, she may regain some of her "self". And no, I don't think she will be together in the same room as her husband....hopefully, the same nursing home. She doesn't recognize him some of the time and only causes her more distress.

    ReplyDelete