Monday, July 18, 2016

My Weekend

More Craft Room discards

Friday found me back in the Craft Room for another hour of cleaning and purging. I was able to find two boxes of rose petals (silk and organza) both teal and purple. I found a pink wicker basket with an unfinished bunny to attach to it, some red and blonde curly doll hair for another project and some shoulder pads left from a Christmas angel project some years back. There is a pink pencil case, window clings for Valentine's,  3 packages of foil confetti, another cake stencil, some tattoos, some red and black coding dots and some iron-on transfers. Not from the Craft room, I found some Dora gift packs with hair accessories, lip balm and nail polish; but, my young granddaughters are too old for them. Dora is so passe. I have a bag with a full set of cutlery for six, a calendar from the Canadian Wildlife Association with gorgeous animal photos in it, a round mirror and a replacement trap for a Blue Rhino SkeeterVac mosquito exterminator. I didn't realize until this morning that the 10 things challenge was meant to be 10 things a DAY. So I have some catching up to do. 

Late Friday, I learned that my daughter, SIL and my two grandkids were coming for a visit on Sunday. It meant that Saturday I spent (not in the Craft Room) but vacuuming and straightening the downstairs. They really didn't stay in the house long because we spent most of the time at the midway at the Odessa Fair. They arrived just before noon yesterday, so we fed them lunch before we headed down the road to the Fairgrounds. My five year old grandson doesn't enjoy rides much, but he went on two of them and watched his six year old sister ride the BIG rides with her Dad. She loves them. They picked their prizes from the duck pond (You pay according to the prize your child wants before the game).  They are not worth the money they ask, but the child is happy to "win exactly what they wanted". The Demolition Derby was over an hour getting started so we didn't wait for it. I think the kids would have enjoyed watching the cars crash into each other, but they didn't know what they were missing, so that was fine. We stood in line for an ice-cream instead. 

Unfortunately, we missed the judging of the birds and bunnies. The doors of the poultry barn were shut when we went to see them. That might have been to keep them cooler and less stressed with crowds of people walking through. But the pens of goats were outside in the shade and my grandkids seemed to really love looking at them, feeding them and many farmers brought them out so the kids could pet them. That was so awesome. One little baby goat was removed from the pen because he was not faring too well in the heat. I think it was just a few days old.... poor thing. We knew the kids would not likely be too interested in the main Palace where the judging had already taken place on the vegetables, flowers, needlework, etc., etc., (things you normally find at a country fair), so we bought some cotton candy and caramel corn and decided to head back home. They had some cheese and crackers and grapes with some cold apple juice. The kids spent over an hour playing with grandma's toys and did some drawing and colouring before it was time to head back to their house. My little grandson didn't want to leave but we promised we would be there in a couple of weeks for his sister's birthday party at the end of July. It turned out to be a lovely weekend. We don't have central air like my daughter and her family are used to, but there has been a strong breeze blowing (albeit a hot and dry wind), but it makes the HOT seem a little more bearable. 

Sorry there were no photos of the fair. I forgot to take my camera as usual and my daughter only takes photos with people in them. Go figure. 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely day at the fair! I haven't been to one in a long time, but I do get nostalgic every year for the county fair I grew up attending.

    I'm pretty sure you can do the 10 Things challenge in a way that suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are she?! LOL.

    I'm so glad you had a relaxing time with your family despite the heat. I hope that little goat was OK.

    I've never been to a country fair. Our county fair is an agricultural fair with much of what you describe but it's about an hour away from here and I've never felt the urge to go and my daughter couldn't show any livestock when she was in FFA since we don't have the land for it so we were never involved.

    You did a great job with your decluttering! Maybe you can go with 10 items a week if 10 items a day is too stressful?

    ReplyDelete