Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Summer time heat

We are under a heat advisory, although it really doesn't feel all that bad. The weather stations are telling us to stay indoors and look for air conditioning. I take that to mean that I shouldn't be outside today pulling weeds, so I shall oblige. The only times I have ventured outside is to hang laundry on the clothesline and out to the veggie garden to take photos.

Lots of blossoms and some green tomatoes. My tomato plants are very tall. I wonder if they are getting enough sunshine?

These are cayenne peppers forming. I should get lots of them this year. 

Even my sweet peppers are growing already.

I will get some beets, but not all the seeds germinated. 

My broccoli does not seem to be forming nice round heads like they have in the past. Maybe I am too impatient. 

My burgundy beans are growing exceptionally well with lots of purple blossoms forming. 

A zucchini big enough to harvest, but I will wait another day or two

Now that my carrots have grown a little bigger, I can see where I need to pull weeds. None of the parsnip seeds germinated. I wonder if I should plant more carrot seeds. There may be enough time before the snow flies. 

Today I.....

 made another large pot of tea to sweeten and put into the fridge for my iced tea tomorrow.

 scrubbed down my counters and did another load of dishes this morning before the high peak hydro period. 

 folded and put away the laundry I hung yesterday and washed two more loads. I changed out the sheets on my bed and I am going through  everything in my linen cupboards (sheets, pillow cases, duvet covers, blankets and comforters) to decide what will go and what I will keep. At the end of the week, I will share with you what items I am purging from my belongings. It should be a breeze to find ten items this week, but I suspect it will get harder the longer it goes. I really don't like throwing out anything. 

 sprayed bleach around the Master Bath tub surround where some mildew was starting to form. I put baking soda on my shopping list because I discovered I don't have enough to clear the drains today. 

 vacuumed the stairs, dining room and kitchen. 

 changed the kitty litter in the downstairs bathroom.

 brought down the garbage from the wastebaskets upstairs. 

 haven't decided what is for dinner yet. It should be a cold plate, but I haven't prepared anything. Darn. 

3 comments:

  1. I would have taken the advisory to mean "Don't do anything at all, take it easy!" but look at how busy you were indoors, even though you only have AC in your bedroom! Good for you to have done your dishes before your higher rates kick in. It must be a nightmare to remember that all the time.

    I'm so jealous of your garden. Your broccoli looks a-ma-zing! And look at the zucchini! it's a beauty! My tomato plants are extremely tall and we get plenty of sun. We've always had very tall tomato plants but this year is the tallest they've gotten. The ones that haven't completely keeled over are well above 6 feet.

    What are you going to do with your cayenne peppers?

    It was extremely hot this morning. I was in the garden at about 11-ish to water it and I thought I would pass out, even with a hat on. It actually read hotter on the thermometer a few hours later but there was a cloud cover on at that point so it didn't feel so hot. It's just strange. It's 6 p.m. and I just heard thunder but I doubt it will rain. I really wish that it would. My okra is absolutely decimated. I should plant it in a self-watering bin next year. It's a hot summer crop so you'd think it would withstand the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the cayenne peppers turn red, I will dry them indoors and grind them up into pepper flakes. We are still using the ones I grew two summers ago. I don't use a lot of them in my cooking, but I use them in some of my seasoning mixes that I make.

    When it cools down, it will be time to go out to weed the garden again. You are very kind not to say anything about all the grass and weeds that grow profusely in the veggie bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeds? What weeds? LOL. Seriously, I didn't even notice them!

      Delete