Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Tuesday happenings

My morning started off well enough. I had my two cups of coffee and my porridge, put away last night's dishes and washed another load in the dishwasher. I washed a large load of whites and lights and hung them out to dry. I went out to the garden and brought in 3 more zucchini. I am really disappointed that I was unable to find yellow squash in the nursery this Spring, so I bought the zucchini instead. And now that they are ripening, I don't really want to eat them; so, I have decided to grate them in the food processor and freeze them in two cup measures to bake loaves or muffins  later, or fry them with ground meat and other grated veggies to put into casseroles. It extends the volume of ground beef so it goes further. My garden desperately needs weeding and I even put the job on today's to-do list, but I decided in the end to get started on the wedding card for this Saturday. 

Three more zucchini from the garden


Of coarse as soon as I sit down at the table to craft, the cats have to help...Hannah on the left and Brucie on the right. 
The wedding card....the flowers are white iridescent, but it doesn't show up in this shot

My Sweetie, in the meantime, went to his last rehab session this morning. (He still has a couple of sessions in the pool before he is completely finished) After he came home, his friend rang up and offered to come and take down those two dead apple trees on our property. Before starting on those, my husband and he decided to take the dead branches off of this Manitoba Maple behind our veggie garden. The whole tree is dying and it is worrisome to think that these heavy branches could come down on someone and hurt them badly.
Some dead branches removed



The good news is that it opens up the garden very nicely, so that all the plants are now in sun for most of the day. The bad news is that the chain saw stalled out and won't keep running, so the friend has left for the day. The apple trees are still not taken down. In other bad news, while pulling on the rope wrapped around one of the branches, my Sweetie tripped over another branch lying on the ground and came down hard on his shoulder. Now that the friend has gone home, my hubby has driven himself to the Emergency Ward in Napanee to have his injury attended to. He took his arm sling with him (from the last injury) so he wouldn't have to pay for another one. My poor, poor Sweetie.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your husband got hurt. He drove himself with a shoulder injury?! Is he Superman or something? Ouch. He's one tough cookie! Good for him to think to bring the sling with him. I hope he's just bruised.

    Your cats are seriously cute :)

    I can't believe you're complaining about having 3 zucchinis when I can't even grow ONE. lol. It's a good idea to use them to extend the ground beef. I keep on reading about people doing this and I never think of doing that. Possibly because I buy the ground beef when it's 50% off and... I can't grow zucchini!

    Can you stand another compliment on your card? You are so talented. It looks wonderful!

    Let us know how your hubby is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment I wrote here last night was never published.(my fault) It is a good thing that I sent you a message directly to your email address. I guess I was even more excited than I thought. *laugh*

    Anyways, my Sweetie came back from the Emerg dept. after first checking our mailbox and finding Happy Mail. Thank you Nathalie. The doctor reported that his shoulder was a "mess" and sent him for X-rays. Tomorrow he has an appointment in Kingston to have an ultrasound. His shoulder is very bruised and is painful to move in a certain way, but his shoulder has always been a "mess", so I don't know what they can do for him. He saw an orthopedic doctor about it just a couple of months ago and was told that there was nothing that could be done. So we will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to your email this afternoon. I'm glad you enjoyed the surprise!

      I'm worried about your husband. Poor guy. He really ought to slow down and not take on quite so much because reinjuring it is going to end up being very debilitating. (says the woman who keeps on re-injuring her own shoulder although not to the same extent!). Hopefully the surprise you got in the mail will help him stay still for several hours to give his shoulder a chance to heal some :)

      Delete
  3. You would hope so, but no. He has always been one to push himself. If you don't use it, you'll lose it. That is his motto. Because he is a transplant patient and on anti-rejection drugs, he is supposed to take it easier and not invite infections of any sort. But that has never stopped him. His attitude is....I have a new life and I am going to live it. As a result, because of his short stint in physio the past couple of months, he is able to walk twice as far as he was able at the beginning of physio. That is a huge accomplishment. He is at his ultrasound appointment now, so I will fill you in when he returns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous of your zucchini! It's one of my favorite veggies and I never seem to succeed at growing it down here. As a kid we were always overrun with zucchini from the garden.

    So sorry that your husband was hurt. I hope that the doctors can figure something out and that he gets some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Laura. As I sit here writing this comment, I have not done anything with the zucchini yet. You say it is your favourite vegetable. Nathalie went out shopping yesterday and bought some. Can I ask how you ladies prepare zucchini? Besides adding it to soups, I usually roast chunks of it with potatoes, onion, tomatoes and the like. I coated and fried it once, but it was kind of messy. Another friend commented yesterday by email. She is sending me a recipe for zucchini boats. It is not my hubby's favourite veggie, but I will take suggestions.

    ReplyDelete