Friday, July 15, 2016

Ten Things Challenge

Items found for the Purge from my Craft Room

As you know already I have been washing, folding and sorting through my linens this week. I am collecting things that I don't use, and I'm still not finished. Yesterday I decided to clean off my dining room table....again. It was mostly my card-making stuff, so I got busy carrying it back into my Craft Room. The table now has a clean tablecloth and runner on it and people could actually sit down and eat a meal. I decided that I needed to spend at least an hour a day sorting through the Craft Room. The hope is that someday I will be able to work in there instead of my dining room. 

Above is a photo of the things I purged from that room  cleaning for just one hour. Those plastic canvas pansies are adorable. I think I bought them at a yard sale, but I have never done anything with them. I had a lot of foam stamps (some of them never opened), some paints and a roller to apply paint to the stamps. I have about 8 cardboard football containers (Chinese takeout cartons) for the big Super Bowl or Canadian Gray Cup game. Have never and will never use those. There is a package of three blue tin pails with matching ribbons and tags to make into party favours. There is also a paper guillotine and small paper slicer, full bottle of silver glitter, two colours of florist wire, a package of white pipe cleaners and a cake stencil for an anniversary. My original thought was to take my load of items to Value Village every week and just get rid of them. But now I am toying with the idea that I may have another yard sale on the Labour Day weekend....maybe....perhaps. Unless I find that I am drowning in clutter, I may as well try making a couple of bucks before they are GONE.  So I am bagging and boxing these items as I set them aside. This is what I wanted to do this Spring but never got around to. Don't suggest that I keep them for my grandchildren. Their parents read my blog. If they want them (which they won't) they will contact me and ask for them. 

It is another hot and sunny day. Every once in a while it clouds over. The forecast is for 60% chance of rain. We really need it but I am not holding my breath. I have hung two loads of laundry outside and a third one is in the washing machine. I am not concerned that it might rain. If it does, it won't take any time at all for things to dry out again. 

I have included some photos of my son's container garden. He and his GF have taken over the patio behind the shed as their own. I love it. Someone else can keep the weeds down and keep that area clean. You will notice that every picture has cactus. That is because my son has been cultivating different varieties of cactus from seed for a few years now. Of course, they all have to come back inside for the winter, and they usually end up (you guessed it) in my Craft Room. *sigh*




Broccoli and cherry tomatoes

Peppers and tomatoes are growing already. In the wash tub in the foreground, is a raspberry cane that is doing very well. 

Pots of kale


I planted two cucumber plants inside a dog kennel standing on its end, both to contain the plants and to give them something to climb up. They are just starting to grow cucumbers.


I picked one zucchini this morning, but I noticed several more will be ready in a few days.

I am adding a post-script to this post. I took back the pansies...but, BUT ...I hot glued them onto a rough hewn wooden planter. I will put one of my indoor plants inside to keep for myself or gift someone else with a houseplant inside. I will show it to you tomorrow. 




4 comments:

  1. Well done with the decluttering challenge! I only decluttered one thing today so far: a cardboard magazine holder that contained some cooking magazines that I want to keep but that had gotten crushed by my cookbooks. I stuffed the magazine in a drawer for now. I need to reorganize and declutter that old dresser that I have in the kitchen because it's probably full of stuff that I don't use.

    Good looking container garden! Did they grow all their veggies from seed? It's the first time I hear of someone growing cacti from seed, too. Where does one get cacti seeds, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son got all his cacti seeds from on-line sources. I have also bought them online to get them for his Christmas stocking. The shipping costs more than the seeds. The containers of his that I showed this morning were vegetable starts from the nursery, because he has only been planting those in the last few weeks, but he does have other plants in the garden (that I didn't show) that he planted from seed. I suggested the containers because they are so much easier to weed, and he doesn't weed much. That, and I took up most of the garden space for MY stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cacti are really neat! And good job on the decluttering. I am boxing my stuff up right away or else I would be tempted to take quite a few things back. :) I bet the pansies look very cute on the planter. You should share a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can get myself in gear today I will post that photo. I didn't wake up until TEN o'clock this morning. Wow.

    ReplyDelete