Sunday, July 31, 2016

August's Food Budget

To tell you the truth, I was thinking that perhaps I would lower my grocery budget down to $200 from $300. You will remember that I was spending $25 per person per week. When my son's girlfriend moved in, they decided they would have their own food budget and cook for themselves. I was still putting aside $300 for the month even though there was only the two of us. I was finding that I wasn't spending the whole amount, so I thought maybe we could try again the $25 per person per week, especially now that the garden is starting to produce.

Well this week I spent a lot of what I call sundry items. I also need to buy more dog food. Since I don't have a special budget for that, I have decided to keep my groceries at $300 for the month. I picked up a few items on sale that will go into Christmas stockings or Advent calendars, so I will take the cost of those from my monthly food totals as well. I have already spent $200 of August's $300. Here it is ...

First off, I spent $50 on a gift card for Shopper's Drug Mart. This will buy bread, eggs, bread, etc. for the whole month of August.
Sundries cost me $68.05

We are well into the season of ANTS right now. I bought some ant baits and Raid. Four of these miscellaneous items will go into Christmas stockings. (toothpastes and razor blades  that were on sale)

Fresh produce cost $6.96

Proteins cost $45.96

Four 1 lb. chubs of hamburger were on sale for $10. All of the processed meat was on sale. Bacon and hotdog jumbos at $3 each, Oktoberfest sausage and Schneiders steakettes were both $2 each, and the box of sirloin burgers was $6. I also paid $1 for a cooked smoked sausage. Chicken legs and pork side ribs were $2 a lb. with a further 30% off the price of the chicken legs. Eggs at $2.29 a doz. are the cheapest in town.  



Dairy cost $6.27

Pantry cost $10.01

Bread was $4 total

Tax was $8.84, so my total grocery expenditure this week was $200.09 I have my $50 gc and $100 cash for the rest of the month for August. 

4 comments:

  1. Gift cards are nice to have. Did you buy it so that you didn't have to carry the cash or was there a promotion? Looks like you got a ton of protein!! We are almost out of proteins so I am totally jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to buy a gift card for Shopper's Drug Mart at the beginning of every month so that I have a guaranteed reserve to buy milk, bread and eggs (basics that are always the cheapest price anywhere)and occasionally margarine, cheese, sour cream and yoghurt that go on sale here from time to time. At the end of the month I sometimes have not spent it all, so I can carry it forward into the next month.
      When it comes to proteins, we eat some meat every supper and we eat a lot of eggs. I buy meat that is on sale and plan my meals around those items. I like to keep my meat purchases at $2 a pound or less (not always possible), and I buy lots. So besides what you see up top, I still have pork loin and beef steaks/roasts from two months ago when I bought several packages of loins that were my magical $2/lb. I don't have to buy any more meat for this month; but if I find some at a good price, I will. I will make that 4 pounds of ground meat stretch a long way by bulking it up with grated veggies and/or beans to add to a casserole.

      Delete
  2. You got some good deals and with careful planning and all the veggies you'll get from your garden, I'm sure you'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nathalie. My shopping list at the beginning of the month is made up of items I have run out of completely and also that weeks specials. So my gift card will look after the day-to-day basics and my remaining $100 should only be applied to the specials throughout the month. That is the plan anyway.

    ReplyDelete