Monday, March 5, 2018

Daybook: Monday, March 5/18

It is now 10 AM. I have been awake since 6:30, but it takes me awhile to get my day started. I get dressed, take the dog for a short walk and his daily constitutional, feed him breakfast with his daily medication and make my first cup of coffee. This is when I check on-line for my emails and blog posts that I like to read. I am usually drinking my second cup of coffee when Dee calls me over Facebook Messenger. I usually have to take the dog out again before long and then I make my breakfast while finishing up my emails and blog posts. I guess I am a slow reader.

Outside my window.....it is overcast. There is not much snow left but it still does not look much like Spring is here yet.

I am thinking.....that I have not seen one robin yet. I usually see them before February is finished. That is not to say that they haven't arrived, but I personally have not seen them yet. Makes me worried that Spring is still a long way off. I am also thinking that I did not make up a goals list for March over the weekend like I had hoped, so I will work on that today.

I am thankful for.....carefree days of retirement where the only schedule is my own.

From the kitchen.....I roasted a whole turkey on Saturday. I immediately removed both breasts of meat and put in the freezer, along with the wings and drumsticks to make a turkey stock at a later date. I removed all the dark meat and have been eating that over the weekend. I put the carcass in the crock pot Saturday night and made another rich soup broth.  I will be making soup with that after 11 AM this morning (when hydro rates go down). I also fried another package of bacon for the freezer. I have been using this to make my omelets in the morning, along with zucchini or spinach. Yesterday I baked some more meatballs with cheddar cheese inside to add two meals to the freezer. I need to bake more dog biscuits  and shred and saute one of my cabbages later this afternoon.

I am wearing.....blue jeans, black socks, and the blue long sleeved T-shirt I bought at the Thrift store last week. My hair is down this morning until I get tired of it hanging in my face and then I usually tie it back in a ponytail.

I am creating.....more encouragement cards. My son's fiancee came over yesterday morning so I could help her make her own encouragement cards to send out to family members.

I am going.....to the Post Office to check for mail before heading over to Amerstview to buy more milk and plain yoghurt. I also have to pick up a prescription.

I am hoping.....that we learn some good news from medical testing going on this week.

I am hearing.....the blower from the furnace.

Around the house.....I got my laundry washed and folded on the weekend. I changed out the sheets on my bed and the furniture cover on the couch. I shredded a lot of paper from the box I keep under my desk, and placed it in the plastic garbage can I keep outside until the Spring, when I can add some of it to the composter or as mulch to one of my flower beds. If I won't do any housework because I am not feeling the Mojo, then I need to give myself permission to work on my many craft projects.

One of my favouite things.....lately is my reusable single cup coffee filters that I can use with my Keurig machine. I have the coffee in my pantry already, so now I can enjoy brewing my 2 cups of coffee every morning.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include my appointment on Friday with my GP for a physical exam. Otherwise, I have made no plans so far this week

 Here's the picture I am sharing.....
Snowdrops are coming up at the base of my shrub rose bush.

4 comments:

  1. Leisurely mornings are the best! Something I look forward to when I retire. The picture of the snowdrops is lovely! It's a sign of spring, I think; it won't be long now. I am hoping the medical test results will all be good. Have a lovely week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday afternoon after I took the dog outside for our walk around the block, I did see my first robin. They must have sensed I was missing them. I'm sure they are late in arriving this Spring, but I will still take it as a sign of Spring coming soon.

    We should have some medical test results by early next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The robins seem quite content to remain in FL :) I thought there was only the one in our backyard but a couple of days before I left, I realized that there were at least 3 or 4. I think the one lonely one told his buddies to hang out there since it's still so cold up North!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was speaking with the cashier yesterday at the Hardware store and she told me there was a flock of 14 red-winged blackbirds at her feeder that morning. What a shock! They are terribly early this Spring. She couldn't believe her eyes. I think that Nature is topsy-turvy and can't figure out what is going on. Kind of scary. We had snow again overnight and early this morning, and it will continue throughout this month. Some of our worst blizzards happen in March.

    ReplyDelete