Friday, March 2, 2018

Friday Update


Let me get this off my chest. It is what has kept me preoccupied all of this week and is the reason why I have not been writing or even reading other writer's blogs. Not one, but two female family members this week have received devastating and life changing news from their health providers. They are both in a "holding pattern" of waiting while further tests need to be done and treatments put into place. It is not my place to talk about it here and now, but I offer this information to show you where my head is at. I have kept myself busy  by making ahead some Encouragement cards to send over the next few weeks. It occupies my mind and quiets my soul to be working on cards. It is the only thing I can think of doing for them at the present time. On another note, I have learned that my oldest grand daughter is really struggling right now in her Bachelor of Education program to become a teacher. It is what she really wants to do, but she is struggling trying to keep up with a very intensive 2-year program rolled into one year. She has a lot going on in her life right now so  I have also been making ahead some encouragement cards for her as well. The only day this week that I have not been making cards was yesterday on my regular card-making day. I needed to be in the kitchen to prepare the food I bought last weekend.

Last Tuesday was my birthday and my son and his fiancee came over with dinner prepared for me. They brought helium balloons and a beautiful bouquet of bright yellow tulips. I can tell you that those tulips look almost as good today as they do in this photo. They have lasted so long and are a sunny reminder that Spring will come one day. My son made a crustless spinach, bacon and cheese quiche served with green beans on the side. Dessert was a large fruit platter with a musical birthday candle in the centre that played Happy Birthday. We watched the first two episodes of "Big Little Lies" that my daughter sent me from Amazon that day. It was a lovely birthday celebration.

Wednesday I had two doctors' appointments. That is when my doctor and I discussed why my blood sugar had crept up slightly. I learned that I should not have indulged in cocktails during my cruise and that the only fruit I should eat right now are berries. She is not concerned about the rise in sugar as she is overall very pleased that I know how I should eat in the future....and I am continuing to lose weight. I forgot to ask her how much more I had lost but I see her this week for my physical and pap test, so I will ask her then. I did some shopping at Giant Tiger in downtown Kingston where I wanted to use a coupon I received by email for a free gift for my birthday, but I had forgotten to put it in my purse. It was still sitting by my computer at home. Darn. The total bill came to $27.70, but I spent $3.74 on non-food items.
I picked up 3 Christmas bottle bags for 25 cents each, 2 flashing Xmas pins for a quarter a piece, 3 Xmas figures that grow X2 when water is added for 50 cents each, and 3 packs of vegetable seeds for 99 cents.
The Christmas items have been put away in my gift trunk.

Thursday was my regular card-making day. I made one birthday card and the rest were Easter cards for the young ones in my life.

I used the backgrounds that I made the Thursday before and some die-cuts from my Cricut machine. I have since added little pompoms to the tails and tiny ribbons on the baskets.
On Friday I met up with one of my IRL friends for shopping and lunch. We first went  to  Staples for some ink cartridges for my printer ($79.33), which I was sure glad to have this week. Then I went to Michael's to spend part of another gift card I received at Christmas, so nothing out of pocket. Then my friend and I checked out a new Thrift Store in the same mall. I spent $15.76 there. I did not NEED these items, but I was spending some quality time with a friend and I thought the prices were good.
 From Michael's I bought another great photo box for only $2.50 and 55% off a background script stamp which I have coveted forever.
From Talize I bought 2 embroidered pillow cases (I think they are brand new) to replace a set I need to get rid of, a King sized plain white pillow case to embroider for my son's fiancee, a lovely blue long sleeved T-shirt (not shown because it has been washed, worn, and is back in the wash again), and two lovely cushion covers for my living room. (I think they're lovely. I adore them) We stopped at Kelsey's for lunch and my friend treated me as part of her birthday gift to me. From there we went to  Giant Tiger in Kingston armed with my coupon to pick up my free gift of 12 K-cups of coffee for my Keurig machine and a few more grocery deals. When I was with the cashier, she distracted me with questions and I didn't realize until later that I paid for the coffee and forgot about using the gift coupon that I now had with me. Drat again. Next we went to Value Village (another Thrift Store) as I was looking for macrame cord and we were not able to find any at Michael's or Talize. They didn't have any either, but I paid $2 for a bag full of crafting materials I can use for card-making. At this point it was pouring rain and we were both very tired, so we decided to end our day after I filled the car with gas. ($50)  When I got home I thought I had lost my very expensive ink cartridges for my printer. I remembered putting them in my purse but now they were not there. I took everything out of my purse, checked all the pockets, turned it inside out, but no ink cartridges. I went out to the van and discovered them on the floor in the front seat. Phew! Disaster averted.

The next day, on Saturday, we picked up where we left off. We drove to a different mall where I had to turn in one more piece of cable equipment that I didn't realize I had after I cancelled my cable back in January. My friend picked up some slacks that were being altered. From there we went to Napanee. I was determined to get my free birthday coffee and both of us wanted to pick up some weekly grocery deals at No Frills. Both No Frills and Giant Tiger are in Kingston, but I wanted to be away from the crowds on a Saturday morning. We walked into GT first and I went over straight to the coffee aisle to get my gift. This was my 3rd time this week trying. Are you freakin' kidding me? It wasn't there. When I emptied my purse the day before, looking for the stupid ink cartridges, I never put the coupon back in. I guess it was never meant to be! We did go to No Frills to do our grocery shopping, (Total cost was $73.75). We also went to Home Hardware to check for macrame cord. I probably paid much less at the Hardware store than at a craft store ($18.06), so I was happy. We stopped for lunch at Swiss Chalet ($14.35) Shoppers drug Mart was having a great one day sale, so we stocked up there as well before coming home. I bought 2 litres of Homo milk, 1 litre of cream, 2 lbs. butter, 2 dozen eggs, 2 12 packs of tp, 2 frozen packs of Brussels sprouts all for $34.73, but saved $21.60 off the regular prices. I was so upset with my stupidity over the free coffee, I never did take photos when I got home.  Besides that, my son and his fiancee were already there waiting for me. I had invited them over to do their laundry and stay for dinner. I made pork chops, mashed cauliflower, and brussel sprouts.
I finally found my macrame cord....natural jute and cotton clothes line.

Sunday I awoke to freezing rain, but it eventually turned to just rain. I left for Smith Falls about 11:00 AM after taking the dog in to stay overnight with my son. The trip was good, but when I arrived my brother and his wife were without power for several hours (probably because of the strong winds). They made me tea from the kettle they had on the wood stove and then we drove into Ottawa and met up with my niece and her husband at Montana's restaurant where I was treated yet again with dinner before we went to see the concert. The show was wonderful. Alan Doyle comes from Newfoundland and is multi-talented...musician, song writer, actor, producer,  For more than half the performance, the audience was on its feet dancing in the aisles. It was one big party.
Poster for the show in Ottawa.

I got to use my other niece's ticket because she was called by work to attend a conference. Because the show ended so late after 3 encores, and we had to drive back to Smith Falls, I had already planned to stay the night and leave on Monday morning. My SIL gifted me with 2 sets of knitting needles and 2 books with cross stitch patterns before I left. I have barely had time to work on my embroidery. I drove to my son's apartment to pick up the dog and continued home, where there was a phone message waiting for me. That was my first piece of bad news. I have been making cards ever since. This week has been a blur for me and I can't believe it is Friday again already. I have updated February's goals over here, and I will be making up a new list of goals for March sometime this weekend I am hoping.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your relatives. Hopefully further tests will bring better news. ((HUGS))

    Susan you were a busy bee! I'm exhausted reading all of your adventures. And I admit that I was "tsk, tsk'ing" everytime I read that you had forgotten the darn coffee coupon! I hate it when the cashiers are chatty because I want to concentrate on making sure everything is charged or deducted properly, lol. It sounds like you had a marvelous time with your friend and again for your birthday. How great that you were able to go see the concert and visit with your relatives, and then your son and GF cooked dinner for you too! Awww. That's lovely. Can your family celebrate my birthday too?

    When I saw the first cards I was thinking "I'll bet she used those backgrounds she worked on last time she showed us pictures" and sure enough, you did. I have to tell you that those are my favorite cards of all the ones you've made. I don't know if it's the cute bunnies or the background combination with them but I find them absolutely adorable! Your grandkids will be very happy to receive them! You are such a good grandma.

    I feel bad for your granddaughter who is struggling. Trying to fit two years into one has to be very taxing. Poor her! I hope that she can hang on to the thought that it'll be worth it and over that much sooner. Oldest Son became a teacher after all (which was what I had been advocating when he first went to college) and apparently really likes his job although Middle Son tells me he has challenges with the students (he works in a very disadvantaged school). His girlfriend graduated back in December with her college degree in elementary education and is already working as a 2nd grade teacher and apparently loving it. As you know I've had to encourage my Daughter to hang in there as well. It's hard when classes are so hard and they're struggling. But I always regretted giving up on my studies when I got married so I'm pushing her to power through it so she can reap the rewards after it's over. I'm sure your granddaughter will be fine, in the end.

    Have a great weekend, try not to worry too much. You can't control what's going on and until you all have more information worrying isn't going to help much (says the chronic worrier). Pets to Satchel. You may not have read my most recent posts but I now have a grandpup! Middle Son got a puppy. I posted pictures of it on Wednesday if you want to hop over and see him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sure on Thursday and Friday to catch up with your's and Bless' blogs to see what I had missed, so I got to see the cute little puppy pictures. Adorable.

    It is hard not to worry about people you love. That is why I have directed my energies this week to coming up with words of encouragement and making cards to help brighten their day, or just to let them know I am thinking of them. But you are right. Until we have more information and have a plan for action, it does not help anyone to be consumed in worry and no action at all. You have to be able to power through the emotions.

    Once again, have a wonderful time with your daughter this week. If you wear the Go-Pro you CAN close your eyes and still be able to see what you missed. *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I was very sorry to hear that two of your relatives have health issues to worry about. I will keep them in my prayers and hope that everything will have positive outcomes. Making the cards was a good way to redirect your worry energies, and I know the recipients appreciated them. My sister and a friend kept sending me cards with well wishes at various times during my treatments and I truly appreciated them.

    I'm sorry you forgot the birthday coffee coupon, but you had more important things on your mind. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your birthday with family and friends, dinners and concerts sound like a lovely way to celebrate.

    Take care of yourself and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bless. I am glad you felt encouraged and benefited from the cards you received during treatment. That is indeed my hope as far as my relatives are concerned. My future DIL came over yesterday so that we could work on some cards together. I am also thinking that later on, once treatments have begun, perhaps I can send gift cards for restaurants or take-out places to help with supplying some of those meals for the family. Any other suggestions from you would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I am sure the gift cards to take-out places would be most appreciated, as well. Or a bag of groceries/a pre-cooked meal, if possible. My daughter came down to take me to my treatments and stayed a couple of days each time, but in between treatments, I was on my own. Anytime a friend or a cousin brought me a meal was very welcome, as it meant I didn't have to cook, especially when my taste buds were off. Another thing I appreciated was people running errands for me because I was told to avoid going in public places when my immune system was compromised. My daughter did as much as she could, but during the time when my treatments were every 3 weeks, I needed someone to buy me some milk, bread, bananas, etc., in between daughter's visits. What I wished for most, though, was someone calling to say, "I'm going grocery shopping, is there anything you need", rather than me calling and saying, "When you go grocery shopping, can you buy me some X, Y, and Z", because I did that a couple of times and I felt like I was imposing on them, especially when the person forgot to buy what I requested! (she apologized when she realized, a couple of weeks later! LOL)

      Delete
    2. Susan, I received your comment, but I didn't publish it because I wasn't sure if you'd rather I didn't. If distance is a factor, then, gift cards would be good, or, if you can have things delivered, like when my friend/former supervisor had a gift of meat delivered and my niece sent a basket of fruits/cheese/crackers.

      The other service I found really helpful was daughter's friends coming over to clean the cat's litter box (I was told not to clean it by my oncologist), and one of my cousins cleaning my house for me (I was crying because I didn't have the energy to sweep up the dust bunnies!)

      And, of course, people giving me rides to the clinic and back because, some days, I couldn't drive myself. I am thinking that's something I would like to do when I am retired - offer to drive a cancer patient to the clinic for treatments. I contacted the American Cancer Society to ask about a ride for myself, but they didn't have any volunteers in my area who was willing to drive the more than hour long drive from my house to the clinic.

      Delete
  5. More excellent suggestions!! Yes I could certainly have things delivered to the house. I could also arrange for cleaning services. I know when my friend was recovering last summer after cancer surgery, she was so weak. Whenever I went over, I did up laundry, any dishes that were in the sink, took the garbage and recycling out and some of the cleaning....especially in the bathroom. I also remember my husband having radiation therapy every day and being so incredibly weak, he couldn't even walk into the hospital under his own steam. I used a wheelchair from the car to the waiting room. I will hope there are lots of friends to help out in this case.

    ReplyDelete