Sunday, September 23, 2018

Another Weekend Over

It is late Sunday afternoon. I have been meaning to write a blog post over the weekend, but obviously didn't. So here I am. The last few days have  been gorgeous Fall weather.....sunny and cooler temperatures, which beckoned me outdoors to play in the dirt on Friday. I spent long hours outdoors (though it was very windy) and dug up and transplanted different perennials. Some were taken from that old garden bed in the back that I plan on turning back into lawn. I removed statice, euonymous, and day lilies from there and transplanted into my front flower beds after removing even more of my snow-in-summer.  I transplanted deep purple iris from the front to an area in the back. I have even more pots of transplants ready to donate to family members.
 I have transplants ready to give. In the photo I have pink spirea, balloon flowers, golden basket, aubrieta,  rose campion,  purple iris, Pasque flower,  cranesbill geranium, snow-in-summer, rhubarb,  Adam's needle, bee balm and dragon's blood. My sister has also asked for horse radish which I have lots of but haven't dug up yet. There are still many, many more plants to dig up.  I would like to accomplish that as soon as possible to give the plants a good chance of surviving in the pots. Thanksgiving is just two weeks away.

I cleaned up some more of my front flower bed by pruning back the spent flowers, pulling weeds, and thinning out a lot of "extra" plant material by ripping it out.  This is where I transplanted some plant material from the back flower bed that I am getting rid of. This area is now ready to lay down some more  wood chips before the snow.

Saturday I started my day doing two very large loads of  laundry in cold water and hanging them out on the line to dry. I mowed the front and back lawns until I ran out of gas. My gas can is also empty and I don't really want to overwinter any gas in my shed, so if I do any more grass cutting this Fall, I will only be buying very little.  I  pulled a few weeds in the back before coming inside. That is when I discovered that my son had called while I was out. He and his wife were coming after work for dinner and laundry, so I stayed inside and prepared three projects for Christmas so I could remove any trace of what I was crafting before they arrived. I also  brought my laundry back in.

Today was another sunny, cool day perfect for working outside. I pruned back  two of my shrubs, cleaned up another flower bed for mulching, and removed   two very large branches from one of my lilac trees. There is still a lot of pruning to do on those trees and lots of suckers to pull out of the ground.  I put away the laundry from yesterday and caught up on some news from the family.  My mother was put on another medication to try and sedate her   so they could release her from hospital. She was returned to the Assisted Living Home on Wednesday, but yesterday it was reported that the medication was not working. I haven't heard any news today about whether or not she is going back into the hospital. Her dementia is getting much worse. It is a wonder that my sister managed to look after her for as long as she did, because the Home is not going to be able to supervise her for too much longer. She may be forced into a long-term care facility.  I have been feeling very restless this past weekend, and hope to be able to travel to Elliot Lake soon.

My low carb, high fat diet for the past week:

Saturday- omelet made with zucchini and sliced fresh mushrooms, lunch was cheesy vegetables leftover from  Friday night, dinner was 2 chicken thighs, mashed turnip and green beans

Sunday- noon time brunch was an omelet with zucchini, mushroom and crumbled bacon, dinner was Shepherd's Pie made with fried hamburger, cut green beans topped with mashed cauliflower.

Monday- breakfast was omelet made with zucchini and spinach, lunch was leftover Shepherd's Pie and dinner was chicken in cream cheese sauce, mashed turnip and roasted broccoli and cauliflower with shredded cheese on top.

Tuesday- breakfast was another zucchini and spinach omelet, lunch was  salami and cheese wraps with Romaine lettuce, and dinner was tilapia and veggies in cream cheese sauce.

Wednesday- omelet made with zucchini and sliced mushrooms, lunch was more salami and cheese wraps, and dinner was pork roast with the last of the mashed turnip and green beans.

Thursday- omelet made with zucchini, mushrooms and bacon, lunch was some of the chicken veggie soup that I made that morning, and dinner was sauteed shredded cabbage with fried ground meat.

Friday- omelet was made with zucchini, spinach and cheese, lunch was sauteed shredded cabbage and dinner was some of the leftover pork roast from Wednesday and creamed veggies from Monday.

Saturday- omelet was made again with zucchini, spinach and cheese, lunch was soup, and dinner for company was roasted green beans, cauliflower and broccoli with lots of shredded cheese and Italian sausages on top. There were even some veggies left over.
Hearty bowl of chicken soup with celery, carrots, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower.

2 comments:

  1. You had a busy and productive weekend! Wish I lived closer so I could relieve you of some of those extra plants you have to share! :D

    I'm sorry to hear about your mother and I know that it is hard for both you and your sister. I hope you find a good care facility for her.

    Thank you for sharing your menus for the week. I tried a somewhat low carb dinner, yesterday, and then, spoilt it all by having cake, later in the night! :D I won't even admit to what I had for breakfast, but it wasn't an omelette! LOL!

    Hope you have a good week ahead, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly noticed your dinner. I was going to make a comment about it being all foods that I could eat, but that it was only an appetizer for the main meal. Ha. It would not have satisfied me; however, it looked really delicious.
      The cake also looked very yummy. I hope you enjoyed it.

      Delete