Saturday, September 1, 2018

First Grocery Shop For September

I wanted to get an early start to my grocery shopping this morning. It is a Saturday on a long weekend, and I suspect it will get pretty busy later in the day. I went to No Frills in Kingston and stopped at Shopper's Drug Mart on the way back home.
Dairy cost me $32.68  The eggs ($1.88/doz), butter (2.99 each) and cream (2 for $3) were all on sale at Shoppers. The rest I bought at No Frills
Lean ground beef was on sale for $2.72/lb. and the four fillets of salmon cost $6.99 for a total of $17.83
Frozen produce cost $35.97 I picked up 2 bags of 1 kg blueberries, 1 bag of 2 Kg California mix (broccoli, cauliflower and carrot coins), 3 bags of winter mix (broccoli and cauliflower) and 2 bags of garden mix (green and yellow wax beans with baby carrots).
Fresh produce (cabbage, turnip, zucchini and cucumbers) cost $12.56
I spent $6.31 on pantry items. Over on Bless' Blog earlier in the week, we had a discussion about preparedness and I realized that I no longer have a pantry of staples should I not be able to leave the house because of an emergency or crisis. I resolved that I should probably stock up on canned items that I can eat on my diet, and tuna fish is one of those items. My total spend on groceries today was $105.84  I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will last me for two weeks. Not being able to eat any flours or grains is very expensive, but perhaps I can keep my budget down to $50 a week. I have accumulated more Optimum points and I am already up to 18, 587

3 comments:

  1. You found some good deals, Susan. Especially on the ground beef. Salmon fillets, at the regular grocery stores here, are $9.99/lb (previously frozen and thawed); slightly cheaper if frozen. The regular grocery stores don't seem to sell salmon steaks, anymore, only the fillets. The Armenian grocery store sells salmon steaks, but not fillets! Their regular price is a little more reasonable ($5.99-6.99/lb), but I wait until they have it on sale for $4.99 to purchase salmon. I have no preference as to steaks or fillets; I go by price!

    I'm glad you are able to have canned tuna on your diet and was able to buy some to keep on hand.

    I hope you will be able to keep your weekly grocery budget to $50. I assume the eggs will be for breakfasts, the salmon and ground beef for dinners. What will you have for lunches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 2-egg omelet every morning. Each one is different because I use a variety of veggies, cheese, and the like to make the omelets. Usually my lunches are leftovers from dinner the night before. But sometimes I will make a big pot of soup that lasts most of the week. Other times I will have cottage cheese or wrap slices of cheese with lunch meat slices or have cheese on slices of cucumber (like crackers and cheese). It is great that I love dairy products, but it has become my biggest expenditure. I could save more money on groceries by using more veggies and less dairy. Up until now I have not really remained on a fixed grocery budget as I was getting used to my new diet. Now that I realize that this is definitely my new way of eating, I can more easily determine a budget and use what I have learned to limit costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cucumber and cheese combination reminded me of the cheese/ham/pineapple cubes skewered on toothpicks that we used to make to serve as party nibbles in Sri Lanka. :)

    It'll be interesting to see what you make for your meals with what you bought, for the next two weeks. I made some fried rice, last night, and I thought of grating the cauliflower I bought, but I had some regular rice I needed to use up, so, that's what I did! I still have to cook that cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete