Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Doctor's Appointment

I made my 2-egg omelet with zucchini and shredded cheese this morning while talking on the phone with my friend from Charleston Lake. She was firming up plans with me for her afternoon Thanksgiving Day meal. I left at 9:30 for my 10:15 appointment in Kingston. I like to go a little earlier than necessary because parking is a big problem. Sometimes I have to circle around the lot and wait for a spot to become available, even first thing in the morning. There was no parking spot available and so I drove next door to park in the lot behind Giant Tiger, which is reserved for shoppers only. I went inside quickly to pick up some grocery specials. Bacon was only $3.47 (less $2) and canned whole mushrooms were 2 cans for $1.50. I bought four and spent a total of $6.95. I brought the shopping bag with me to my Doctor's appointment and was called in right away. I was 5 minutes early.

My doctor and I are very pleased with my blood sugar results. I have not been below 6 for ten years apparently, so this is great news. I remember always being pre-diabetic, so the fact that this diet is lowering blood sugar is very promising and exciting. I am not losing any more weight. I have plateaued at 27 pounds lost and it has remained the same for months now. People have been telling me that I am still losing, but in fact, it is just redistributing as my body is adjusting to this amount of insulin. I still carry fat around my middle, but the doctor says that in fact I have been losing inches there. She is happy, so I am happy. She applied some frozen nitrogen to a wart that has developed on the side of my ankle. It lies under the strap of my sandals and is constantly being rubbed. It's uncomfortable. I also made an appointment with the nurse practitioner for next Wednesday to have my ears cleaned and for her to check out the wart as well. 

On the way home, I stopped at Canadian Tire and picked up 10 bags of mulch at $3.99 a bag. I paid for all of it with points from my Options card. No oop. It was much to hot to work outside today, so I just left all the bags in the van and came inside. It was supposed to reach a high today of 29 C degrees. I haven't checked to see what the temperature actually was, but it felt like it had already reached that by 11 AM. I felt a little guilty not going out to do yard work, so I decided I would start washing windows. It took an hour or more to wash the three windows here in the computer room. I washed with my Miracle spray and a bucket of hot water, a toothbrush, a scouring sponge, and a rag both inside and outside, in the window tracks and the sills and window frames. Only then did I bring out the Windex and paper towels. These three windows absolutely sparkle. They should be done twice a year, but I know I didn't get around to these ones last year.

I talked to my daughter on Face time, had some lunch leftover from last night's dinner (Tex-Mex chili), cleaned the stove top and counters, and worked on a couple more Halloween cards.
My photo doesn't really show much detail, but the black Jack 'o lanterns have  red shimmer (not silver) behind the faces. They are not on a white card stock but an ivory colour with tiny bone fractures. The skeleton is dressed as Dracula and the orange pumpkin has black shimmer behind the face

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to read that your blood sugar levels are down to below 6! That is excellent! That's what my doctor would like mine to be, too.

    You did well to get the mulch with your points! 29C is too hot to be working outside! Stay indoors and keep cool. You were quite productive indoors, anyway, with all that window washing!

    Cute Halloween cards! Very scary, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting to your blood sugar level where you would like it to be!

    It sounds like you got a lot accomplished with the windows even if you were inside.

    As usual, the cards are adorable! You are so talented!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have those windows done. I still do a double-take when I enter the room and notice how bright the room has become. Yes, it is that noticeable. Living next to such a busy road brings a lot of dust and dirt to the front of my house. The windows here really should be done more often than I do them. Such a difference!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I am so proud of myself for persevering with this new way of eating. It has become second nature to me now. I still eat too much, but I was never restricted by calories or portions, so it is something I could easily live with.

    Today is overcast and there is absolutely no breeze at all. It looks like perfect mosquito weather, so I will not be tempting fate by working outdoors today. Maybe I will get another window washed?

    ReplyDelete