Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Daybook: Tuesday, Sept. 4/18

Yes I had every intention of writing a Daybook post yesterday on Labour Day Monday, but my son and DIL arrived in the morning with a trunk full of laundry to do up, and I wasn't quite ready to start my day yet. I had a load of my own laundry still in the machine and I hadn't even showered yet. It would have been poor manners to ignore my company to write a blog post, which is a solitary endeavour. Instead, I got my DIL to help me put together some cards I was making ahead for my mother.  On Sunday I had spent some time cutting images I liked from store-bought cards that were given to me. If you have bought cards recently you know they are quite lovely, but also very pricey. It isn't possible to save every card, although I would love to, so I decided to cut down some of my favourites and re-use the images in some of my cards, add a few embellishments and a greeting and presto...a note card that I know my mother will love. Since I have recently added her to my weekly card list, I am making a few cards ahead so I can jot down a few lines for her on mailing day. My DIL is very artistic and also has begun making her own cards this past year. So I was able to get her ideas on which colour cardstock to use as a base for the individual images, and then she dry embossed a texture for me to use behind it. They turned out lovely.  We were all invited to her parents' house for dinner, so after showering and changing, I left with them at 4:30 for their house and didn't return until after dark.

Outside my window.....it is clear and sunny. I have been watching the kids pass by my house on the way to their first day of school. It is a cooler 17 C degrees right now, but will rise to 26 C. If it is as humid again today, it will feel much warmer. I have the windows open right now.

I am thinking.....about Labour Day weekend and what it has always meant to me in the past. Its origins have been in the Labour movement, but I have only participated once in a parade in my entire life. For me,
it has always  meant back to school and  the unofficial end of summer.  Things will now become terribly busy.

I am thankful for.....the lovely day I spent with my son and DIL yesterday.

From the kitchen.....I presently have 4 chicken thighs in a crock pot of water to make a chicken soup stock and some extra cooked chicken I can use this week in a dinner recipe.

I am wearing.....gray capris and a gray striped top with capped sleeves.

I am creating.....note cards for my mother using recycled card images, Halloween cards and some more Thanksgiving cards (I have 9 cards already). I  have been invited to two places for Thanksgiving dinner on the same day. I will be waddling from one place to the next.

I am going.....nowhere today except perhaps outside to do some more yard work. I didn't go outside at all over the weekend.

I am hoping.....I can keep myself motivated to work in the yard until I finish up what I want to get accomplished before winter.

I am hearing.....the sound of crickets  (always in the background), my fan blowing across me, and the sounds of traffic.

Around the house..... I have lots of projects I want to start but I need to focus on getting the yard work done.

One of my favourite things.....is being able to facebook message my family.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. My lab results show that my sugar is down below 6 for the first time in "forever". I am so happy the diet is working.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
 Note cards made from using old recycled cards. My mother will not care that these are not original.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was happy to be able to make note cards by recycling the best features of old greeting cards. I cannot really call them my own, but I now have cards that I know my Mom will enjoy receiving.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had company yesterday and was invited out to dinner. The cards you made a lovely!

    Hope you have a good time in the garden, today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did spend time outside in the yard. The mosquitoes were still annoying, even though I had sprayed myself down. The sweat was pouring down my face (not pleasant), but I managed to transplant a clump of day lilies into another flower bed and I got another flower bed weeded. I would like cooler temperatures before I can be tempted back outside. It was still just too warm for my liking, but I think I spent a good hour weeding. I mowed the front lawn and I cleaned the filter and pump in my fish pond again. So all in all, I believe I spent my two hours on yard work.

      Delete