Thursday, December 27, 2018

Christmas Week

I am stopping to catch my breath by writing a blog post today. Christmas Eve was busy as I prepared for my annual Christmas Eve dinner by referring to a rather long to-do list. I made a roast beef dinner with gravy, boiled turnip, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with grated cheese on top, brussel sprouts with bacon, mashed sweet potato and a cheese and cracker tray.  My son and DIL took care of the mashed potatoes for me. I had a red wine, white wine, soft drinks and V-8 vegetable cocktail during the meal and tea or coffee afterwards.  I had baked an apple pie for dessert earlier in the day and had a few Christmas treats on offer.  After dinner we had a gift exchange in the living-room  with all the lighted decorations on, soft Christmas music and lighted scented candles. I love my candles in the Fall and Winter season. It was a very lovely evening. We sent the mashed potatoes home with my friends, along with some Jewel cookies and "Nuts and Bolts". Then my son and DIL stayed longer while we did our gift exchange together. They were unable to stay the night, so we decided to do our Christmas this year on Christmas Eve. I also sent them home with the leftover apple pie and bottle of white wine.

Christmas morning found me opening up the rest of my presents sent by other family members and friends. In between times I was face messaging family members to share Christmas messages and thanks for the wonderful gifts. By the time I loaded up the van with parcels and my overnight bag, it was just after 12 o'clock noon. It was a beautiful sunny day and the roads were clear and dry. It was perfect for traveling to Smiths Falls where I got to spend the day and evening with my brother and his family. I had another wonderful day.

Yesterday I left Smith Falls late morning and drove to Charleston Lake for another great meal mid day. I got to meet the new baby (my friend's first grand child). When I realized I could leave and drive home before it got dark, I decided that I would drive home instead of staying overnight, since the weather was still good.  So last night I ate leftovers from the Christmas Eve meal and relaxed for a bit in front of the TV.  I was feeling very tired. I have photos I want to show you this week of gifts I made for Christmas, but not today. Today I left the house to hit some Boxing Day sales. Boxing Day was actually yesterday, but I was on the highway traveling, so I went today. I took some gift cards with me and went to Michael's, No-Frills, and Shopper's Drug Mart. Even though most of the deals had already been snatched up, I did manage to do well with my shopping.
I spent $54.05 on groceries (frozen berries, frozen veggies, cabbage, yoghurt, cottage cheese, and 5 chicken breasts)  I used a $25 gift card and spent $29.05 oop.
There were $3 off Manager coupons on both containers of milk and both cartons of large eggs, so that I only paid 83 cents on each container of milk and only 19 cents for each dozen eggs. My favourite Monterrey Jack cheese with jalapenos was only $4.99, so I picked up a package.
Besides those few groceries, I got some really good bargains on things I can use next year. The Christmas stocking is one where the sequins can be brushed to change colour from red to green.
I spent $42, but saved $48 on my total SDM bill. I paid with 2 gift cards and only $2.35 oop.
At Michael's, I could have spent my gift cards with abandon, but I am so pleased with myself. I took advantage of only  two sale items. The iris cases  (plastic 12"x12"  storage cases for scrapbook papers) were only $5 each, but if you bought 2, the 3rd one was free. So I got the three storage cases for only $10, and they have been "on my list" for a year now. Whoopie!  I also have been wanting to buy dark navy cardstock. If I bought one package at regular price of $6, then the second package was free. So I got the package of 25 sheets of gold cardstock (for next years cards) for FREE. I love free.   I used my Boxing Day 55% off coupon to buy the regular priced owl for my mom's birthday in February (so only $8.55) . It also has the sequins on it that change colour from silver to purple by brushing against the grain. I think she will love brushing it,  as it is very sensory.  The total spent was $27.74 and I used gift cards to pay for them. I think I had a very successful shopping day. Tomorrow I will post some photos of my Christmas projects.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read that you had a lovely Christmas with both family and friends, Susan. You certainly prepared a feast for Christmas Eve dinner! I'm glad you had good weather in which to drive, too. And you got some great deals on your after Christmas shopping! I need to go to Michael's to exchange one of the T-shirts I bought for my niece's kids; I've got to check out their sales! Looking forward to see your Christmas projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless, I was very pleased with the bargains I got at Michael's and Shopper's Drug Store. I can put some of them away for next year's Advent calendars, after I write them into an inventory list of what I buy during the year. I bought them if they were a fantastic savings and I knew that they would keep for a year, although some of them could work as birthday gifts as well. There were savings of 70% off Christmas decorations at Michael's, but I did not buy because I didn't need any. I may go back for some wool but I know there will be other sales, and I don't know what I need yet.

    ReplyDelete