Thursday, December 13, 2018

Thursday

Shortly after writing Tuesday's post, my friend in Palliative Care passed away. I didn't find out until much later in the day, so while I was "waiting" to hear any news at all, I busied myself by working in the kitchen. I made a second batch of rice krispie squares, cut and wrapped individually in saran. I also made TWO keto recipes for cookies...one was a nutmeg cookie made with ground walnuts, and the other was an amaretto thumbprint cookie made with almond flour. Of course I had to test one of each to see if they tasted anything like a cookie, AND THEY DO.

You can taste the erythritol sweetener in the walnut nutmeg cookies (it has a cooling sensation in the mouth), but I think anyone would find the thumbprint cookie to be really good.  The no sugar strawberry jam adds a lovely flavour.  They may not be the most delicious cookies in the world, but I found them to be mouth watering. I will be able to partake in the "sweets" during the holidays. 

Yesterday morning I drove over to my friend's house with the lunch items I bought them on Saturday. I only intended to drop them off but stayed for two cups of tea.  We talked, and cried, and laughed a lot. She didn't want me to leave, so I stayed as long as I could. I had a doctor's appointment in Kingston that I had to get to, and some errands to run.  As a result, I was out most of the day yesterday and didn't get anything done at home.  I will try to stay in close contact with the family and help out any way I can, but I have told her to call at any time she wants.

Today I started the day by washing a load of laundry and hanging it upstairs to dry. My SIL phoned to announce they are arriving this weekend with their leather couch which they are gifting me to replace my green sofa that is looking quite worn. They just received a new living room suite delivered yesterday that is their Christmas gift to each other. I am excited to receive this couch but it is winter. I won't be able to get rid of the green sofa until Springtime, so I needed to move some furniture pieces around to accommodate everything.  I also packaged up all the doggie biscuits into cellophane bags so they are ready to deliver to my doggie friends. I have 11 ready to go.

I can't believe the weekend will be upon us again tomorrow. The days are flying by.

4 comments:

  1. That was very kind of you to stay for an extended visit with your friend; I'm sure she appreciated your company and being able to reminisce with you.

    I hope your doctor's appointment went well and all is well with you.

    Your cookies look delicious! I'm glad they taste good, too, and you will be able to have some sweets during the holidays. One of my cousins made some keto cookies with peanut butter, coconut, and almond flour, I believe, at Thanksgiving, and they were quite good, too.

    Ooh, a new sofa! That's exciting! Yes, the weekend is almost here! It's crazy how fast the days are going! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor's appointment was with my psychiatrist and things have been going very well for me. In fact, the last three appointments have been three months apart. I will ALWAYS need to take medication for my chronic clinical depression, but perhaps I will only need the care of my GP in future.

      Yes, I found a very good recipe for peanut butter cookies that I am wanting to try, but will have to wait until I can buy natural peanut butter with no sugar added (or another natural nut butter) Maybe this winter I can experiment with a few recipes until I can find my new favourites. I am sure loving the ameretti thumbprint cookies with a mix of almond and coconut flours, topped with the sugar free strawberry jam. Mmmm.

      Delete
  2. I just clicked on your blog after seeing your comment on My Two Cents by Bless. I am doing keto and would love to have your cookie recipes if you share. I agree the keto cookies I have made are not the best cookies in the world, but they are cookies and what is Christmas without a few cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne, Sorry I took so long to get back to you. First let me tell you that I have not done any keto baking until now. My doctor put me on this "Real Food" diet almost 18 months ago and I was determined to make it work. So as part of my plan, I decided to jump into the new way of eating without trying to substitute flours and grains with ground nut flours. No substitutions. It is only now that I have decided to do a little baking and substituting treats into my diet. So here is a great looking blog post of 25 favourite keto cookies here. https://blog.platejoy.com/keto-christmas-cookies/ This is where I got the ameretti thumbprint recipe. The others look really delicious as well, and I think I will probably take a stab at a few more in future. The walnut spice cookies came from Keto Connect here https://www.ketoconnect.net/walnut-cookies/ I didn't fancy these as much. I wish instead that I had tried their snowball cookies from the same site. (I used 1 and 1/4 cups of ground walnuts for the 8 oz. of whole walnuts) Anyways, if these links don't work for you, let me know and I will indeed post the recipes for you.

      Delete