Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Daybook: Tuesday, Dec. 11/18

Outside my window.....it looks cold and overcast with light snow flurries.

I am thinking.....about all the people I know who are sick and frail. When I wake in the mornings, I don't know if I will hear of someone's passing. That sounds very depressing, but it is a fact of life right now.

I am thankful for.....my many blessings, including my own good health.

From the kitchen.....I have been making food gifts for Christmas. I have already made a double batch of doggie biscuits and a double batch of "nuts and bolts". I made one batch of rice krispie squares and wrapped each square separately in saran. Today I am going to attempt my first baked keto recipe for cookies.

I am wearing.....blue jeans, a pink button down long sleeved shirt over a white knit camisole, and gray socks.

I am creating.....the beginning of a birthday gift for my mother. I won't share it yet because I haven't figured out how it will eventually look. I also sent off another homemade "winter" card for her in the mail. Apparently the residents are helping themselves to each other's cards, but not to worry....my mother is also "stealing" theirs. *laugh*

I am going.....nowhere today, I don't think. I haven't made any plans so far. I have started to receive Christmas cards at the Post Office. I went out yesterday to No-Frills to pick up some more missing ingredients for my nuts and bolts mixture. I have everything I need to make a second batch of rice krispie squares and my keto cookies.

I am hoping.....for a good week for my DIL who is finishing up her last week of classes. She has a full week of presentations, assignments due, and finished projects to hand in. Finally she will be able to relax a little bit and prepare for the holidays before the second semester starts after New Year's.

I am hearing.....the sounds of tires on wet pavement outside and the blower on the furnace when it comes on.

Around the house.....I have remnants of materials out from several projects I had on the go last week, on the kitchen counters, on the dining room table, and around my chair near the living room window. I should spend some time today cleaning up those areas.

One of my favourite things.....this week are the little cellophane bags and Xmas tins I already have to package up my treats for gifting.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon. I have no other plans, but most of my activities lately have been spontaneous.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
My recipe calls for 7 c. of  cereal, so I use 2 c. of Shreddies, two c.  of Cheerios, 2 c.  of Rice Chex, and 1 c. of Cheez Sticks. Then add  2 c. of pretzels, and 2 c. of peanuts (but I use 1 c. of peanuts and 1 c. of mixed nuts). I like this recipe because you can use what you like as the 7 cups of cereal to suit your own tastes. You can use small crackers or bagel bites as part of your mixture. Chex mix in the States is comprised of a combination of wheat, rice and corn chex, but we don't have all of those in Canada. I LOVE this version; however, had I been able to find Crispix cereal yesterday, I would have used that instead of the rice chex. Melt 1/4 c. of butter (or margarine) with 1 tsp. of onion powder, 1 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/4 tsp of ground cayenne, and 2 tbsp. of Worchestershire. Pour over the top and roast in a slow oven(225 degrees) for 45 minutes stirring the mixture every 15 minutes.  I find that the Worchestershire, salted butter, cheez sticks, pretzels and nuts add enough salt that I do not need to add any to this mixture.  This is a very yummy savoury treat.

4 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds delicious for the nuts and bolts. I have made the Chex mix before (living in Oklahoma in the states) but I like the idea you have of adding various options that you prefer. I will give a try this year!

    So sorry you have several people in poor health. It is so difficult waiting for the phone calls. Appreciating our health is one of the best ways I know to honor those about to move on.

    How exciting to be getting Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister thanked me for the recipe as well. She has decided to make up a large pan of nuts and bolts for the nurses' station at the hospital where my mother is. She was going to bring the usual chocolates or cookie platter, but decided it made more sense to skip the sweets, as everyone else brings sugary treats.

    My friend who was in Palliative Care died yesterday, shortly after I wrote this blog. I spent this morning over at the house with his wife and daughter.

    Yes, I LOVE getting cards. I received two more Christmas cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathies, Susan, on the loss of your friend. Please convey my condolences to his family, as well.

    I'm sorry, too, to read that there are so many family and friends in declining health, but, that is the reality for many of us, isn't it? I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this time of having loved ones go through health issues.

    Thank you for sharing the nuts and bolts recipe. I love savory snacks and often go looking for them. I think I shall give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bless. My friend's suffering is over, for which I am grateful. His family has been through a terrible two years since his ill health began. She has the support of family, although they live farther away, and I will try to be there for her as much as I can. I know she appreciated my visit yesterday morning.

    ReplyDelete