Saturday, December 1, 2018

Advent Calendars

A friend of mine sent me an Advent calendar on-line through Jackie Lawson (a e-card delivery service). It is lovely. Today I got to open my first activity. I am going to have a lot of fun with this. My two grand kids in Bradford got to open a gift today from their bag of Advent gifts and were each thrilled with what they received. My daughter helped me out immensely this year by letting me in on what their interests were (since they change quite often) Unfortunately, my youngest grand daughter has not received her parcel yet and I am unable to track it. The postal workers were legislated back to work last week and postal service has become much worse since. The government had appointed a mediator to help each side come to an agreement, but those talks broke down. I am sure that this strike is going to be very prolonged now. The postal workers have "lost" their strong bargaining position now that we have advanced into December.  I don't know what this will mean for my Christmas parcel or my 50 cards I just mailed out.

Today I did a dark load of laundry and hung the clothes upstairs to dry. My deep cleaning activity was vacuuming and washing the floors downstairs (kitchen, dining room, living room and computer room) I wash the bathroom floors when I clean the fixtures. I printed out two sets of labels for a friend of mine to use, and I made my moussaka. It is a big job but well worth it. It was another good day of accomplishing much.

I had my friends from Lansdowne drop in for a visit. They came into Odessa to attend a wake for an old friend of theirs, so they didn't stay long.  They will be back on Christmas Eve for dinner and to exchange gifts. My son and DIL will be here that evening as well. I did not go out today so I never spent any money. Yay me.  I hope your weekend is going well.


4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your youngest granddaughter hasn't received her parcel yet, Susan. I'm sure she's disappointed and you are too. Hopefully, the postal service will get back to work soon and the packages and cards will be delivered without further delay. In the meantime, could you send your youngest granddaughter an on-line advent calendar that is similar to the one your friend sent you, but with activities suitable for a young girl? Or, maybe you can send her daily advent emails?

    You were very productive today! I'm afraid I didn't do any cleaning! But, I sewed for a bit and went on my walk. I think I'm going to take the weekends off to play! :D

    I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your visiting friends, even if it was a short visit. You'll be seeing them again, at Christmas.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to my son this afternoon. He isn't the least bit worried about the parcel not having arrived yet. He says that his daughter is very much in the Christmas spirit already. She attended a Christmas party yesterday and had a fantastic time. He says that when the Advent gifts arrive, he may allow her to open two a day...one in the morning and one after dinner. I will just keep my fingers crossed that it won't take too much longer. I suggested the on-line Advent calendars but he says the family has already received one (probably the same one I am getting) and it isn't necessary to send any links to other ones. My three older grand kids received some money from me in lieu of gifts. They can probably use the money more at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully your mailed items will get where there are supposed to go soon!

    How lovely to have your home all decorated and ready for visitors.

    You are doing such a great job continuing to get items marked off your to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have slowed down a bit this week, Diana. I am still getting things done, but not so much the big cleaning items. I DID clean my bedroom and my master bath, so I am happy about that, but both jobs tired me out. Ha. I have taken a day off in between, by tackling a few smaller chores.

    ReplyDelete