Thursday, December 6, 2018

Thrifty Thursday?? Hardly.

I did it again. I posted without any content. I have discovered that after I write in my title post, I need to tab down to the main body. Sometimes, I forget myself and hit the enter key instead. My bad.

I went shopping today. I left the house early to drive into Kingston to the Giant Tiger store to purchase their weekly specials (they were that good). When I got there I discovered that others thought the deals were good as well, because I had to wait in line for a parking space to become available. So in one way I was able to be thrifty by taking advantage of some sales, but GT is a favourite store of mine. It entices me to buy more than I need. It was a struggle to only buy what was on my list but I think I did pretty well.

From there I went to Freshco which is another grocery store on the way home that begins its weekly specials on Thursday. Their large tubs of yoghurt were still only $1, so I bought 3 more. I also bought some ingredients that I do not keep in the house because of my diet, but I bought them to make food gifts and for entertaining. Whatever is left that I don't use, I can give to my son and DIL.

Four pounds of lean ground beef were selling for $7.99 a bag (normally $12) Yogurt was still only $1 a  tub this week. Everything but the sugar free Jello was on sale. I will save the kielbasa for entertaining.

I bought these items for entertaining (Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas morning breakfast)  or to make things with. I will use the marshmallows to make rice krispie squares. I will use the Tenderflake  and flour to make pies. I also plan to make some savoury snacks like Bits and Bites to gift others.  Besides making pies,  I had to spend money on flour so I can use up the oatmeal, cornmeal, peanut butter and canola oil that is still in my cupboards, (but that I cannot have) to make up doggy treats for all of my canine friends.

I also bought some items I have not photographed. The final damage came to $93.96, but I had a total of $32.81 in discounts and savings.  Looking back, I guess I didn't do too badly. I certainly have spent more than that on groceries at Christmas. I also have been able to spread out the purchases over several weeks this year. I guess I am just troubled by spending any money at all. Oh no. I am turning into Scrooge.

4 comments:

  1. No, you are not turning into Scrooge, Susan, you are being a good steward of your resources by spending mindfully. I'm glad you were able to get some good bargains and they will, in turn, help you give to others and celebrate this special time of year with your friends and loved ones. I've been keeping track of my spending, too; I want to see exactly how much I spend in order to make sure that I am living within my means now that I am retired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kind to say that Bless. I thought about what you said and I guess I can see that. I am making lists now several days before I hit the stores, so by the time I get there, oftentimes I have decided not to buy because it isn't on sale or I can probably do without, or I can substitute something else. I AM being more mindful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job in particular for this time of year. I made purchases the other day that I placed the order online for groceries then picked them up and I thought I had overspent on my purchases. After taking a second look at my receipt I realized it was food that would last a minimum of a week and some items to add to my stock up also. Then price seemed reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as though you are also being mindful of grocery purchases, by double checking the receipt and categorizing what you have bought. Also a great idea to build up your pantry supplies this time of year.

      Delete