Thursday, May 19, 2016

A more laid back day

After the whirlwind that was yesterday, today was much more relaxed. I visited my friend who just got back from hospital. I took her some whole wheat bagels, whole wheat Triscuit crackers, a block of marble cheddar cheese, some pro-biotic yoghurt and some sliced roast beef for sandwiches. I know that she has many friends and neighbours that are looking after her, but I took note that her health care workers want her to gain some weight back, and because she is on antibiotics, she needs to return some bacteria into her gut.

When I arrived, she was still lying on her couch where she was when the nurses had  seen her this morning. They had just left. I washed up the dishes in the sink, did a load of laundry for her, removed the garbage, and sorted and removed all the recycling. I made us both some lunch and we had a lovely visit. I know that when I left, she was feeling very tired, and was going to have a sleep back in her bedroom. It is going to take a few days for her to recover some of her strength, but she is doing very well. It was raining when I left her place for home, but it has since cleared up nicely and the sun is shining again. Please enjoy some of these flowers with me. I wish you could smell my backyard. The lilacs, apple blossoms and lily of the valley always bloom at the same time, and it smells just heavenly here. 



Can you smell these lilacs?

Pretty apple blossoms

We have lots of blossoms on our trees, but the apples are not good....not even for applesauce. 

Self-seeded violas are the only flowers in my planters so far. 

Lily of the Valley are very invasive plants, but the perfume is intoxicating. 

Forget me nots grow everywhere and anywhere, but I love them.


 Has anyone got plans for the long week-end?  It is traditionally the time for planting the flower beds, so I will probably visit my local nursery to have a look-see. In any event, I will try to go out into the flower beds to prepare them. Whatever your plans, have a great Victoria Day weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, YES, I can smell them! Lilacs and Lily of the Valley are some of my favorite flowers and neither of them grow in Florida :( I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to be in your yard right now.

    How nice of you to have done all those things for your friend. I know she appreciated it all, despite the fatigue.

    So we don't celebrate Victoria Day in the USA, of course, and I had to look it up since I wasn't familiar with it. We'll be having Memorial Day weekend NEXT weekend. I hope you find tons of plants that you like and at rock bottom prices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't likely that I will find bargains on flowers this weekend, but it is nice to look and get ideas and get caught up in the excitement and enthusiasm of preparing the garden. I will wait a little while until prices start to fall. That should give me time to weed and work the beds.

    ReplyDelete