Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Off to the Scrapyard

Turned in our scrap metal from the yard into cold hard cash

Yesterday was not Domestic Monday as far as this house was concerned. I did what we are expected to do on this holiday Monday. I put flowers in my planters and watered them. Then we hit the road for Charleston Lake to have a BBQ with our good friends. It was an opportunity to visit with my girl friend who recently had surgery on her foot, but it was also his  birthday. I'd sent him a card, but he hadn't received it yet. So I took him some chocolate and two lottery tickets. Three other friends had been invited to come over (not a birthday party). They brought salads, but when I asked my friend what I could bring, she just said "more hot dogs and buns". *laugh*  It was a lovely time sitting on the large deck of their log home in the middle of a forested area outside of a Provincial Park. She is constantly surrounded by nature. She is only half-way through her recuperation, so will remain house-bound for a few more weeks. I know it was tiring having to deal with that many people at once, but we tried to be helpful and she thoroughly enjoyed having the diversion. Everyone stayed until around 8 PM. 

Yesterday morning my Sweetie and I took the trailer load of scrap metal into Napanee and unloaded it at the scrapyard. In turn, we received $46. Not bad for clearing it out of our yard. It bought another eye of round beef roast, 4 litres of milk and $20 worth of gas. AND IT IS OUT OF OUR YARD. Bonus! When I got home, I fired up the lawn mower and tackled the lawns again. 

Mowing the yard of dandelions.....again

Since the morning was taken up with outside work, there wasn't a whole lot of domesticity going on inside. Let's see what I did. 


  • I cleaned my counters and stovetop once again while loading up the dishwasher.
  • I cleaned the inside of my microwave oven.
  • I made a double batch of weed killer.
  • I trimmed out the roast and cut into three smaller roasts for my freezer. I placed the trimmings in the stockpot again, and made a lovely beef stock for soup. 
  • I cleaned out both litter boxes and replaced with new clean litter.
  • Took the kitchen compost out to the large garden composter.
  • Threw a load of dark wash into the washer with my homemade laundry detergent and vinegar as softener, to turn on after 7 P.M. 
  • Made butter chicken with two small breasts of chicken, some frozen stir fry veggies and the free sample of VH sauce I received in the mail from Sample Source. It was so-o-o good. I served it over ramen noodles instead of rice. 

Butter chicken over ramen noodles for dinner

And that is it for Domestic Tuesday. Have a great evening. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you were pretty domestic (cooking, laundry, cleaning, changing litterbox, etc...) and you made MONEY from all your decluttering AND you got to visit with friends and eat some food and still be good. I think you had a tremendous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nathalie. Wouldn't it be lovely to earn money for doing all the work around our own homes? I supposed we are if you count the money we save by doing the work ourselves instead of paying someone else to do it. Maybe I should start adding it up.

    ReplyDelete