Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Catching up


It's been almost a week since my last post. I actually had to go back and read the last post to help me remember most of what has happened since then. I have cut the grass (all of it) again this week. I have not pulled any more weeds from the beds. I have pulled more rhubarb though....gave some away, froze two more quarts and made a rhubarb crumble. I made two pies last week after my last post.
Two rhubarb pies and doggie treats out of the oven.

I still have some pastry left in the fridge to make at least one more pie this week. Yes, my pastry was a little pale. That's because I left the tin foil on it too long. It was still fully baked however and it didn't affect the flavour any, because both pies are GONE.

On Thursday I decided to pull everything out of the closet under the stairs. My plan is to put back only those items that I wish to store under there and get rid of the rest. The dining room is still full of "stuff" I need to go through. When my son and his GF come back from California in two weeks, we are going to have a huge yard sale, starting with the stuff I am purging from this closet......if I can let go of it.   

 During the renovation of the bedroom, we put building material and other large broken pieces into our trailer. On Friday, my Sweetie and I loaded up more junk from the yard. While I finished cutting the rest of the lawn, my husband attached a trailer hitch  and wiring harness to the back of his van, so that early Saturday morning we could take the trailer to the Transfer Station to dump our first load of the year.

 As soon as we finished that, we took off towards Toronto. I picked up a bouquet of flowers and the card I made for Mother's Day, and brought them to the Retirement home in Cobourg where my mother lives. They were just finishing up lunch in the Dining room when we arrived. We did not stay long, but we had a very nice visit. Then off we went to the kids' gymnastics club in Bradford where my young grandson and his twelve invited guests were celebrating his fifth birthday party. The staff showed them around the foam pit, the parachute, the trampoline, etc. My daughter provided the food, cake, colouring activities and loot bags during the final hour inside the party room. After the party, we moved everything back to my daughter's place, ordered pizza, and had a family birthday party when his other grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousins arrived. We didn't get home until after 10:30 that night.

Sunday was a lot quieter. It was pouring rain and so I tried reading more of my favourite blogs and we watched a few shows "On Demand" that we missed while out West. I also got some vacuuming done. Yesterday the lawn needed to be cut again after a weekend of rain. I also got a load of laundry washed and hung outside. We had a surprise visit from an old friend of ours who lives up north now, so we whiled away a couple of hours visiting. I have been making up a few shopping lists for when we go into town this week, but it isn't urgent that we go. I still have no need for groceries yet. 
 










1 comment:

  1. Your pie looks so perfect! How do you DO this?! Mine would never EVER look like this. I can't even make the wavy thing with the crust along the edge. Yes, I know how to do it and yes I always screw it up. I'm pie crust-challenged. Oh and it's rhubarb pie too... oh I want a piece of it so badly!

    Sounds like your day trip was very busy but you had fun. It's good that Sunday was quiet so you both could rest.

    A big garage sale is just what you need! Declutter declutter, declutter! I hope you make loads of money.

    ReplyDelete