Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Rhubarb harvest

Rhubarb has been one of my most WASTED resources. I have a lovely big patch, but only manage to make a couple of pies or fruit crumbles during the season, and I let the rest of it bolt and eventually die off.. Well this year I will resolve to do better. I have decided that since I have another freezer this year, I will take advantage and freeze as much rhubarb as I can when I am not using it up in my baking. 

I was feeling my age and a lot of sore muscles this morning when I got up, so I decided I would take a break from all the yard work that needs doing. We went into Kingston to pick up my new license plate sticker. The one I bought in Elliot Lake was just a 10 day trip permit so that I could get it back home and have the car safety-ed. My appointment was yesterday. While the car was on the hoist and one wheel was off, they discovered that the wheel cylinder was leaking. Coincidentally, there was already a brand new wheel cylinder in the back of my van because my Sweetie also needed one for his vehicle. They installed that one and only charged one hours labour. So my vehicle is fit and licensed. Yay! My Sweetie will have to pick up another one for his vehicle when he gets his van in for his safety. 

From there I went to the Bulk Barn to buy oatmeal, cornmeal, chocolate chips, split peas, ground black pepper and smoked paprika. I also bought a couple more vanilla beans and some essential oil, which brought my total up to $42. But I got a senior's discount of 10%. bringing it back down to $38.92  This afternoon I cut, washed, and chopped four quarts of rhubarb ready to make pies. I prepared my pie crust for rolling out tonight after seven o'clock. Our Hydro summer schedule started May 1st, so our high peak time is now 11 AM to 5 PM. (the opposite of our winter schedule) I also made doggie biscuits to go into the oven after the pies. After 20 minutes, I will shut off the oven and leave the biscuits in there overnight to harden.
Four quarts of chopped rhubarb for the freezer, or pies.

My rhubarb patch...In a couple of days, I will be able to harvest even more.

I was able to get another load of laundry washed in cold water with my homemade laundry detergent and vinegar for softener, and hung outside on the clothesline. I folded and put away the laundry I hung yesterday. 

Supper tonight is meatloaf, boiled potatoes and carrot coins prepared this afternoon so it would be ready to cook at 5 PM (mid-rate for Hydro)

I sorted the recycling bins for pickup tomorrow and brought down all the garbage to put out at the curb tonight before bed.

I am still hoping that I will be able to do more yard work tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I am salivating... your rhubarb looks amazing! So, so, SO envious. I wish the darn thing would grow down here.

    You were very productive! How lucky was it that you had a wheel cylinder in your truck at the exact same time? I have to tell you though, every time I hear about those inspections, I'm glad Florida doesn't have them. It's a hassle that I don't envy you, even though it might be better for the environment.

    I hope you're not as sore today and able to work in your yard!

    ReplyDelete