Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Multi-tasking

It was one of those days. 

I sat down this morning to check my email with a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal. The dishwasher was already cleaned up because while the kettle is boiling, I put away the dishes and start loading up the dishwasher again. I just barely finished my cereal when the dog wanted outside again. I noticed the clothesline with the laundry hanging from yesterday. (It had rained late in the afternoon yesterday before I remembered I had some clothes drying on the line). I brought those upstairs and proceeded to gather another load of dark wash. I came down to finish reading a blog posting. My Sweetie announced that he was going into town to take in a compressor to his brother's place. I helped him load the compressor into the van and then went into the backyard to gather all the bags I wanted taken into the recycling facility. He could take those in for me, since I had sorted them all the day before.

Off he went while I went back to reading my favourite blog. My dad and "Dee" called on the Blackberry. It is my Dad's birthday today and the card I sent him had just arrived, so he called to thank me. "Dee" and I chatted and I was reminded that I was making a birthday dinner for my son's GF tonight. The meal was planned, but my dining room was still a mess after having pulled everything out from under the staircase. After I finished talking, I tackled that problem area. I put back only the ironing board, two table leaves, and one box of mason jars under the stairs, cleaned off the table, and "dealt" with the remaining boxes and bins by moving them into different areas of the house. I was just finishing up, when my Sweetie came home with the mail. 

One of the envelopes contained a wedding shower invitation. This was one of the personal phone calls I needed to make today. I made a phone call to one friend who was supposed to be home after a long stay in hospital, only to learn that she had gone back into hospital after being home only one day. That was upsetting news. I called the second friend to accept the invitation to the shower and have the chat that I had intended. In the back of my mind, I knew I should call a third friend and my daughter, but I will call tomorrow. I hung out my load of dark wash and made myself lunch. 

While I was in the kitchen, I looked for the cake mix I thought I had in the pantry. It wasn't there. I knew I would have to make a cake from scratch so I looked for a recipe in my files. While that was baking, I peeled the carrots and potatoes and left them sitting in water on the stove. After the two cake layers were cooled, I turned them onto plates and put both of them in the microwave (so the cats and the dog wouldn't get them), and I left for Amerstview to go to the bank and the grocery store to pick up some broccoli, bread and milk. I intended to put some money inside a birthday card as her birthday gift. Once home, I made the dressing and stuffed the chicken and placed in the roasting pan in the oven. I washed and cut the broccoli and had it ready to go. I set the table, threw up a very few decorations, and iced and decorated the cake. By now it was five o'clock. I wouldn't cook the vegetables until 5:15, so I went back to the computer and finished reading the blog I started this morning and commented on it. After dinner, I brought in my laundry from the clothesline and placed the rest of the chicken in the crock pot to make a nice rich chicken broth overnight. It is now 10:00 and I am going to watch one hour of television before bed. Goodnight all.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like you did most of the things you were planning on doing and then some! I think part of the reason I avoid making phone calls, especially to family, is that then I feel like "I'm stuck" on the phone for at least an hour but as soon as I hang up I realize that there are still things that I forgot to share. Email is easier that way but then I lose that personal connection... and feedback because my family members (ALL OF THEM) are horrible about even acknowledging the emails and almost never reply. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about this just this morning as I was waking up that perhaps I'll stop sending long emails with pictures until one of them emails and tells me what's going on with THEM because it's tiresome for it to always be a one-way street, you know?

    Did your son's GF enjoy her special dinner? That was so thoughtful of you. What kind of cake did you make?

    "... and "dealt" with the remaining boxes and bins by moving them into different areas of the house." **Snort**

    I'm sorry your friend had to go back to the hospital. I hope she is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, the way I keep my family and friends up-to-date with what is going on here, is the blog. Very few of them comment by email. They will phone instead.

    I am going in to see my friend this morning. She was released yesterday afternoon and I talked to her last night after the nurse left. This was her first surgery ever....and everything just went badly for her. She had 3 procedures done, two of them were major surgeries. She was in ICU on two separate occasions and in the step down unit once. She was treated for a major infection. She went back in by ambulance after being released and they kept her in for fear of another infection. Poor woman. Nurses come in twice a day for an unknown length of time, but I will go in to see if she needs anything done. She has great neighbours, so I am not sure she is needing anything. I will make a pot of tea and we will just talk.

    She isn't the only friend who had surgery while I was away. My friend in Charleston Lake is laid up for a few weeks. She had an operation on her foot and the recuperation requires "no weight" on that foot. She is kind of house bound for the time being, and I have not yet gone to see her. I would like to do that this weekend.

    The cake I chose to make yesterday is actually a vegan cake from my daughter's recipes....no butter, no eggs, no milk. You wouldn't believe how yummy it is. I have chosen to make this chocolate layer cake (or cupcakes)on several different occasions.

    I didn't have time yesterday to purge. Therefore I "dealt". Ha. You caught that, didn't you.

    ReplyDelete