Friday, August 31, 2018

Last Day of the Month

It may be the last day of August, but it sure isn't the last day of summer...yet.  It was another overcast day but it was warmer than yesterday....much warmer with the humidity. The mosquitoes were out in droves, and as long as there are mosquitoes, there is still summer. I only did some weeding and transplanting for a little over an hour because I  couldn't take them anymore.  My husband used to say that I had a good time outdoors when I came in burned, bruised and bleeding. Well I certainly have new bruises and fresh scratches, but I wasn't burned today. There wasn't enough sun. But I sure was bitten. I have since taken a shower and rubbed myself down with a tube of ointment I bought in Egypt a few years ago. It takes away the itch. Good stuff.
 This is the bed I am finally tackling. We took out a huge yellow twigged dogwood last weekend. It will still come back next year, but will be much smaller and more manageable. I pulled a lot of grass and weeds, but I think I will be removing all the salvageable plants and turning this back to lawn.

I also made a thank you card with a note for my friend with brain cancer. I want him to know just how grateful I am for all the work he has done for me this past summer. Remember the raccoons in my attic? He took care of that problem for me by getting them out of there and then installing the hardware cloth to keep the critters out. He took down my dilapidated window shutters and crumbling front stoop and replaced it with a beautiful deck area and now with the walkway/staircase, it looks wonderful. He brought out some aluminum capping to frame out my front door and he installed my gate for me from the driveway. With his son's help, we did a complete junk removal into the dumpster and the dead branches are down off the tree. He moved our little travel trailer to my neighbour's who wants to use it as a hunting camp. He has inspired me to work hard to fix up my property the best that I can with the resources I have. There are not enough words in the English language to express my gratitude, but I hope he knows how thankful I am.

I also  wrote a note in the encouragement card I made yesterday and I made another "Thinking of you" card  that I wrote a message in for my mother. I walked to the Post Office to mail out all three of them. Initially, I was going to drop them off on my way into town to do some grocery shopping; but I have since decided to go in tomorrow morning so I can drop by Shopper's Drug Mart for their one-day sale on eggs and butter. There is no point in making two trips. For supper tonight I am eating some shredded sauteed cabbage and hamburger. I haven't had that in a while.

It is the long Labour Day weekend and as long as the weather allows, I will probably be labouring outside some more. Otherwise, maybe I can start washing my windows. Have a great weekend everyone, whatever you decide to do.
Have I mentioned how well my geraniums are doing? They have been loving the rain. 

2 comments:

  1. You are making great strides in the garden, Susan! I like your brick pathway! I laid down some paving stones at the back to make a path, a few years ago, and the plants grew over them! I need to go out there and reclaim my path!

    Your planter of geraniums looks lovely! Will you bring it inside for the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be re-potting the geraniums and bringing them inside. I will cut them back and take them upstairs to water occasionally over the winter. All of them did quite well this past summer after having been over wintered last year. I only bought some petunias in the spring.

    My husband laid that path for me. And yes, weeds do grow up between the cracks, but I pull some and I squirt my vinegar and salt solution into the cracks to keep things under control.

    ReplyDelete