Monday, March 16, 2020

Catching Up on Monday

There has been no progress on the downstairs shower. We've had much more important issues at hand. My sister and BIL travelled to Sudbury for medical appointments on Wednesday, Thursday AND again on Friday. I was the chief dog-sitter. On Thursday afternoon I did head over to the Dollar Store to pick up a few items I felt I needed for a battle against the corona virus, as well as a few things from my wish list. I got some bleach, latex gloves, disinfectants, soap, nail brushes and the like, but I also picked up some extra food containers, silicone spatulas, freezer bags, and spices. I bet you thought I was going to say more craft supplies, didn't you?  But no, I was thinking of ways I could prepare and keep food for a longer period of time. On the way home, I bought TV bingo cards for the next three weeks to distribute among the family members. I was planning to grocery shop the following day, but my sister was called back to Sudbury for additional tests on Friday.

We also learned on Thursday night, that there were going to be further closures and cancellations in our province, so there was NO WAY I was going to try grocery shopping on the weekend. My sister and I agreed to go together this morning as early as possible with a list. Both of us are eating keto diets, so we knew it was going to be a challenge. We cannot stock up on flour, rice, pasta and canned beans because we are not allowed to eat those foods. By this morning, most shelves were bare, and there was a restriction on the amounts one could buy. No more than 5 of any one item, and only 2 packages of paper products. I did not see that sign, so when I showed up at the cash with 6 dozen eggs, 6 heads of cabbage, and 6 tins of tuna, I was admonished; but she rang them through for me anyways. I think she used her discretion because surprisingly, there were lots of these items still available. I have heard of other places not having ANY eggs, but our store had lots. There were very few fresh veggies (no zucchini, eggplant, green beans) and even fewer packages of frozen veggies. There was no broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, even brussel sprouts. Everything had been bought up. I know that shelves will be restocked eventually, but because of the urgency of the messages to stay home, I wanted to be prepared for the long haul. I belong in that vulnerable group that is being advised to lock down.

I went home and put things away (no photos), had my breakfast,  made a few phone calls, and listened to the Prime Minister's message today. They will have announcements every day at noon because of the rapid evolution of this disease. Then I packed up "Dee's" groceries, picked up 5 prescriptions at the drug store that were ready, and took them over to my dad's house. I left the bin on the top step and then used my cell phone to notify her that they were there.  Because my dad is extremely frail, we are taking no chances.

I finally feel I am prepared. Unfortunately, it took a real emergency to figure out that I was not. I have talked today with two of my kids and they are heeding the advice of the health officials. I still need to hear from my middle son and DIL tonight to hear how they are managing. Have a good evening and I will write again tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you can find the things you need quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it for shopping. I will use what I have or do without. Social isolation needs to happen now and I have noticed that some people are still not keeping that 1 meter distance between themselves and others. It is more important to keep a social distance than to stand shoulder to shoulder in long lines for more supplies. I will take a page from your book and figure out a list of meals with what I have on hand.

      Delete
  2. Stay safe and well, Susan. Is there anyone who can pick up more supplies for you? Can you order them online from the grocery store and have them delivered? I hope you hear from your middle son and everyone is heeding the advice to stay home if they need to. I, too, thought I was prepared for an emergency, and maybe I was for an earthquake, but, not for a pandemic! Now, I am praying that we won't have an earthquake on top of everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even go there Bless. You have always been prepared for an earthquake, but that is not going to happen now. Just relax with the knowledge that you have done everything you can. Everyone will get through this if they heed the advice of health experts.

    At this point, I don't even know if my grocery stores offer delivery. But if they don't, something will be set up for us in a reasonable time. This is basically a retirement town. A very large portion of the community population is older. (I have learned in this crisis that at 70, I am considered "the elderly". Boo, Hiss.) I have never felt elderly, but I guess I am. I can, and have, ordered keto supplies through Amazon, so I will continue to do that as long as I can.

    I heard from DIL#3 last night. So far, they are still both required to go into work, but that could change from day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you were able to get your additional supplies for staying inside and home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So am I Diana. I don't want any excuse to have to leave my little nest for a while. I actually enjoy being on my own.

    ReplyDelete