Tuesday, March 31, 2020

More Time in the Kitchen

I froze the remainder of my pasta sauce this morning. I have eaten it twice now over shredded cabbage, so I will save it to eat later with a package of frozen spiralled zucchini that I managed to find on my last shopping trip 15 days ago. On the weekend I finished up all the fresh eggs to make a loaf of keto bread. As a result, I have been using my frozen eggs to make my morning omelettes. The yolks have a different texture having been frozen, but by mixing well and adding tinned mushrooms, shredded cheese and bacon, they are okay.

I was a little apprehensive about the eggs I froze specifically to make my loaves. I separated those eggs by freezing the 6 egg whites in one container and the yolks in another. The yolks were broken and mixed together gently with a half tsp. of salt. I took out the two containers yesterday to thaw in the fridge overnight, and I made a loaf of bread this morning. It turned out perfectly, so I am very happy that those frozen eggs worked out so well. The thawed egg whites whipped up beautifully.

I also made another batch of yoghurt today. I took out a ham bone from the freezer and made a huge stock pot of split pea soup with ham. Split peas are not on my keto diet, but my doctor did say that I could splurge on beans or legumes occasionally. I am very good about avoiding foods I shouldn't have, and under the circumstances, I think I deserve to eat some comfort food. I will  most likely freeze most of it in smaller portions, but for the next couple of days, I will have a bowl of it for lunch. Dinner tonight was pork chops with leftover rutabaga from the weekend and some broccoli in cheese sauce.

I was dog-sitting today, so I took Rocky for a walk around my crescent. We never saw another soul on the street. It felt good to go walking outdoors. I did get fresh air and exercise last week by shovelling snow, but nothing beats a walk around the neighbourhood. It was cloudy but mild. The snow is disappearing very quickly. I want to encourage you all to stay safe during these times.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us about your frozen eggs both in baking and just eating. If I find eggs when/if I go shopping this week I will buy a few cartons and freeze some. What keto bread recipe do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anne. I use the recipe from Keto Connect https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/ I should probably say that I base my recipe from this site, because having gone in to find the recipe for you I see that I have been doing it differently from them. How does that happen, I wonder? I don't use a food processor. I just use a hand mixer. I don't use cream of tarter (optional anyway). And I have discovered this morning that I have been baking at 350 for 35 minutes. Oh well...it still is a very good bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that your frozen eggs worked well for the bread, Susan. You are so organized in the kitchen! I am going to try to freeze garlic, today, as my friend brought me two big bulbs or garlic and I don't want to waste them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't work in the kitchen today except to unload the dishwasher this morning, and I emptied the kitchen compost pail. I did some more organising in the craft room and played a game of Battleship against my young grandson. Isn't technology amazing?

    ReplyDelete