Tuesday, March 10, 2020

More Material: More Money Spent

The project just got bigger, but that is a good thing. Once the shower was in place, it was easier to see how we could incorporate it into the downstairs bathroom. So that is what we are doing now.
 The shower surround is in, but we have not yet added the silicone to the seams.

 Before we added the shower surround, we noticed there was actually enough room to take out a doorway from the inside bathroom wall into the laundry space where the shower was installed, so we cut out the gyproc and wall studs.

Here is a view from the other side looking into the bathroom. We will extend this wall that holds the new plumbing, straight across to incorporate the new "doorway" to make the shower part of the  bathroom space. (They won't have to walk into a separate shower off the laundry room) I am thrilled to have discovered that this doorway was possible.

Yesterday my BIL and I went out to the lumberyard to pick up 3 more sheets of drywall, 8 more 2x4s, more 3 inch screws, drywall tape and mud. By the end of the day we were (I was) too tired to take down the 4x8 foot sheets of drywall, so it is still upstairs leaning against my dining room table until my BIL arrives this morning.

Tomorrow I will get a break from construction when my sister and BIL drive to Sudbury for a couple of days. Rocky (their little dog) will be here having a sleepover with Auntie Susan (me). I will finally be able to wash my upstairs floors again of all the winter snow and salt that we tracked in again yesterday. The snow is melting during the days, but it freezes up at night making everything very icy. Good maple syrup weather, as warm temps during the day and freezing temps at night makes the sap flow. With the time change on the weekend, it sure is feeling like Spring, although I know we will still have many more snow flurries before the flowers bloom. Anyone else getting tired of winter? 

6 comments:

  1. Spring is in full force here, along with more blooming rain!
    I have never done a home improvement project that did not cost more than I planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. No blooming flowers? Just blooming rain, huh? Well, we have an expression for that....you don't have to shovel it.

      It would be nice to have a couple of spring showers, but it sounds like you have had MORE than your share.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy! I was able to see only the first picture; the rest wouldn't load, but that might be just my computer. But, it sounds like this has turned into a bigger project than originally planned, although, making the shower part of the basement bathroom makes a lot of sense (and will add to the value of the house, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am thrilled there was a way to incorporate the shower as part of the downstairs bathroom. I was happy to have the shower moved out of the bedroom closet to the downstairs. But this is icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your remodel is turning out even better than you had expected!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I will be very happy when it's done, but I will enjoy these few days when I am NOT working on this construction. I need a break from it all to get other things accomplished.

    ReplyDelete