Wednesday, March 4, 2020

First Grocery Shop of the Month

I started my morning with two calls--one from my daughter and my scheduled Wednesday morning call from a friend in the Kingston area. I prepared a tray of tea for my friend coming this morning with her dog for a visit. All in all, it was a very social morning. My BIL called to say he would not be coming over this afternoon to work downstairs because he was tired and sore from yesterday. I agreed heartily that we should postpone the work for the day. Ha,ha. Knowing that my afternoon was now mine, I asked my friend to stay for some moussaka for lunch and she agreed.

I knew I should use my "free" time to go out and buy groceries, but I was feeling really tired. I "decided" to just lay down on top of the bed and ponder whether or not I should go out. When I woke up just before 5, I decided it was probably a good time to pick up my sister and go shopping. This is what I picked up today.



 I spent $23.12 on this ham. I still have an assortment of other meat in the freezer.
 Produce, both fresh and frozen, cost me $23.44  They were completely out of frozen blueberries, but I was able to find a bag of frozen mixed berries. Spinach has risen from 97 cents to $1.49 in just a couple of months.
 Dairy cost $41.33 (3 doz. eggs, 5 cottage cheese at $2 each, 4 litres whole milk, 6 plain yoghurt at $1 each, 2 blocks of old cheddar at $3.97 each and 2 pkgs. of cream cheese at $2 each)
My pantry items cost me $20.94, partly because I picked up another almond butter and no sugar added strawberry jam.

I picked up miscellaneous items (non-food) for $6.00  My first bill came to a total of $115.65 and I earned another 3000 points. I now have over $40 in points to spend on groceries if I need to. I still need to buy butter but I need to look for a sale. I refused to pay over $5 for a pound of butter today.

Have a good evening. I'll be back to working on the shower tomorrow and I have a lot of ham to slice and prepare for the freezer. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day, visiting with your friend, taking an afternoon rest, and shopping with your sister in the evening. Looks like you did well with the grocery shopping. I, too, did a little grocery shopping, this afternoon, but, I haven't separated out the groceries from the rest of the purchases. I have plenty of food on hand, but, I think I'd like to get some ground beef, too. I've been waiting for it to go on sale, but, no luck, so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I have caught up with my sleep for a while. Even after yesterday's afternoon slumber, I still managed to sleep until 8 this morning.

    Having washed the floors yesterday afternoon, I was able to clean off the surfaces yesterday morning before my friend's visit so that my house looked somewhat presentable for company. Not clean, just tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say, having washed the floors the afternoon before...

      Delete
  3. I think you certainly deserved your rest! Seeing your grocery purchases reminded me to get my groceries ordered. I am unable to stand or walk for long periods so usually I place an order with the Walmart grocery pickup and let them do the walking for me! I still have to get them in to my house but easier to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that they offer that service. Does it cost very much to have them pick up and pack?

    ReplyDelete