Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Carpenter's Assistant

OMGoodness. Has it really been a week since I last posted? Last Wednesday I was a plumber's assistant, but this week I am using some of my carpentry skills to help out my BIL put in the shower downstairs. Last week was very busy for me, but it went by so quickly I don't remember the order of events. There were two dinners last week at my dad's house. There was my mother's 92nd birthday at the Manor. We phoned ahead to make sure she was in a good mood. Sometimes she is very aggressive and it is very hard on everybody to visit during those times. When we walked in, there was a keyboard player entertaining the residents. My mom really enjoys music, so she was in a great mood. We gave her a robotic therapy cat for her birthday. I don't know if you are aware of these therapy devices, but they are wonderful. The ears twitch, she raises her paw, she opens and closes her eyes, she moves her head, she purrs and meows and generally resembles a real cat. My mom was enthralled and just fell in love with her new pet. Here is a link to a site where you can see them.

My sister was over a few times to the craft room to make cards. Twice while she was working, I spent the time sorting, organising and cleaning up. I'm not finished yet, but there is a marked difference in how it looks now. It is feeling much more streamlined. It is also the room where the construction is taking place, so this afternoon I have a bunch of sawdust to sweep up. I also have to start removing the old silicone from the shower pieces before we can put them up on the new walls. (Some homework for me to do in my spare time). Yesterday morning, we went to the lumberyard to pick up the 2x2's, 2x4's, and 1x3's, gyproc, and all the hardware we will need. Today, we put up the walls and started the raised deck for the shower pan. My Monday morning date with my friend has been postponed until tomorrow morning (because of the shopping trip to the lumberyard), so I have asked my BIL not to come until the afternoon. After he left for the day this afternoon, my first priority was to vacuum and wash the main floor (not the bedrooms) because we had to bring in the lumber and drywall into the dining room with our wet and salty boots on yesterday, and I had not had a chance yet to mop it up. I was feeling exhausted but it had to be done. Then I decided to bake a loaf of keto bread and fry up slices of eggplant to make my moussaka. It is now after 7 PM. The moussaka is baking in the oven, the dishwasher is turned on, so I have sat down to write this post. I should sleep tonight.
 Of course, none of these  original walls are straight, level or plumb, so our work was cut out for us.
I think tomorrow we will be going back to plumbing in the drain and the water pipes before the drywall is ready to put up the following day.

2 comments:

  1. You've had a very busy week! That's a lot of work to take out the shower and reinstall it in the basement! I think it is awesome that you are able to do it with your BIL's help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me be clear. My BIL is doing the work. I am the one helping HIM out. Ha,ha. But yes, I am very glad to be of some help. I used to help my husband out. But if it should come to a point where he would rather have the assistance of someone else, I will hire a handy man for him. So far, no complaints.

    ReplyDelete