Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bread, milk and eggs from Shopper's Drug Mart

When picking up prescriptions for himself and me, my Sweetie used the $50 gift card I bought at the beginning of the month to pick up 2 bags of milk, two loaves of whole wheat bread and two dozen eggs at $2.29 a dozen. The total came to $17. 51.....so no out of pocket expenses, and $32.49 remaining. 
Starting a page assembly for another mini scrapbook

Yesterday we did a little more work on the bedroom renovation. My husband picked up 10 2X4s to frame the wall inside the room, and my son and I continued to nail up the tongue and groove pine boards on the ceiling. We stopped when we ran into a bit of a problem with the pieces not lining up. Tomorrow, with my husband here, we will try again. 

At that point I decided to start another mini scrapbook since I had all the materials here that I needed. One page assembly needs 2 envelopes 5" X 7 1/4" and the two cards, one 12" square black cardstock, and matching papers to mat everything up. In the above photo you will see that the two envelopes are glued together at the flaps and the ends are slit to make pockets (indicated by the pink stylus) I round all the corners of the cards. I make library pockets next with the 12" cardstock and attach it to the envelope flaps. I cover everything with papers. 

Envelopes and cards are matted with pretty papers

One page assembly gives 18 matted pages for photos and journaling

This is one page assembly. It gives me 18 full pages for mounting 4" X 6" photos and lots of room for writing. Each scrapbook will contain 2 or 3 page assemblies. That is a lot of photos. I will show it again next when I am ready to bind the book. 


More work done on my scarf

During the evenings while watching TV, I have been plugging away at my scarf. I made a mistake at the end of a row where the needle is pointing. I couldn't figure out what I had done or how to fix it, so I kept on going. I don't think it will be a big deal once the scarf is finished. I ended up with the same number of stitches. 

So I finally counted up my "found money" that I started collecting a few months ago. I have some more nickels and dimes, but I am only counting the coins that I have been able to roll. The loose ones are going back into my piggy bank. I have $16 in change, $18.92 in rebate cheques, and  a $30 cheque from Pinecone Research  for surveys I have done, for a  grand total of  $64.92. (I will put this money into savings to go towards any renovation work, like we are doing with my son's bedroom right now.) I have more pinecone points but I won't cash out until it hits $30 again. I also collect Shoppers' Drug Mart points, but I try to save them up all year to use on "spend your points" weekend (near Christmas), when they are worth 3Xs the amount.  So 95,000 points translate into approx. $240 worth of merchandise.

Last night's dinner was leftover roast pork and homemade apple sauce with niblets corn and baked potatoes. 

Have a great day.  

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned before, I believe, that you bought the Shopper's Drug Mart gift card because you got reward points for doing so, right? That's a smart use of your buying power!

    And speaking of smart, what a smart cookie you are, making those pages for your journals or scrapbooks! I'd probably go the easy way and buy scrapbooks. As a matter of fact, I bought quite a bit of scrapbooking materials years ago and never made even one scrapbook with them! You really should look into selling your cards and such somewhere. Maybe a booth at one of the festivals you attend?

    Some of my coins were rejected by the Coinsmart machine because they are Canadian. I was wondering what I was going to do with them... maybe I'll start a Canadian Coin Jar :)

    Congrats on your found money, that's quite a stash and should help nicely with your renovations.

    Is it still snowing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I can't believe you remembered that. I get reward points when I buy the gift card, and again when I use the card to buy merchandise. And then they have a few weekends that if you spend $50 or $75, you get a bonus of 8000 or 18,000 points on top of the points you would normally receive. It is one of the best rewards systems I use.
    You could collect Canadian coins in a separate collection, but don't be cashing them in for another 4 or 5 years. That is what the economists are advising. Our dollar went below 70 cents American three days ago. They are saying it will take about five years to recover.
    I still do scrap booking (in bought albums), but these make lovely little gifts. Scrap booking is so much more fun when working with someone else. Making cards and little paper projects is more solitary, I think.

    ReplyDelete