Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Thrift Shopping

Yesterday I reported going into Kingston to do a bit of grocery shopping. I also hit the Thrift Store in the same mall. I was looking for a pair of jeans that fit me well. I found a pair of Lee Riders that are not pictured here because I am currently wearing them. I am very happy with them.

While spending time with my mom at the Retirement home, I realized that I needed some long sleeve tops that are lighter in weight than the ones I wear at home. They keep that place so very warm (much warmer than I am used to). I also needed a few clothes that are a tiny bit dressier than what I own. I am retired. When do I ever need to dress up?? When I left work, I systematically purged my wardrobe season by season until I was basically left with jeans and sweats and t-shirts. I own two pairs of black dress pants which fortunately I remembered to pack with me when I went to Cobourg. These older people dress up....let me tell you. They dress to the nines just to go to the dining room. I felt very out of place. So I bought a few things. I didn't even have a pair of black flats, my last pair had literally disintegrated this past Fall.


Fine knit top (with bling) and Dr. Scholl's  black casual shoes

New tunic top with original tags still attached

My new duds set me back only $ 27.25 before tax. 

Today I made a rich turkey soup that we enjoyed for dinner tonight. My hubby and I made a sliced ham and tomato sandwich to accompany the soup, while my son made a sandwich with kielbasa sausage. 

I set out two bags of garbage at the curb and used up my last two garbage tags that cost us $2 a piece. The price went up to $2.50 a tag a few months ago. I remember when I bought them that I thought they might last until the end of the year, and I was correct. 

I read a long list of emails that were pending in my mailbox over that chaotic period in my life that was the Christmas holiday season. I am nearly all caught up. 

I coloured my hair with L'Oreal Preference which I bought on sale at Shopper's  Drug Mart. 

Since I am feeling like I haven't accomplished much since the New Year, I plan on starting some of next year's home-made Christmas presents NOW. Maybe I can start a knitting project that I can pick up or drop when I have a moment here and there. I don't want to leave it all until the end like I did this past year. Have a great evening. 

3 comments:

  1. Love the new tops. Its amazing isn't it went my nan went into a retirement home years ago they used to get their best shoes and jewellery out for dinner. I'm luck if I eat in anything other than PJ's.

    Good for you on starting the Christmas gift making now. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I forgot about the jewelry. I can't begin to tell you how many jewelry boxes were lined up across the dresser. I don't really remember my mom being into bracelets and necklaces in the past, but she wouldn't be caught in public now without all matching pieces. Ha.

      Delete
  2. Great finds! You're going to look like a million bucks for just $27! My grandmother was blue collar but she loved to dress up. I remember going to visit her when I was a teen and she had already retired and I was shocked that my cafeteria cook grandmother had Chanel suits in her closet! Now that I think about it, they must have been knock-offs... still, I never dress up. I have some work clothes that I have kept (but that barely fit me anymore) and that are a little dressier than usual, but if Greg had decided to go to his workplace Christmas party, I would have had to skip it because I don't have anything appropriate anymore. Thrift stores are great, though, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete