Thursday, January 28, 2016

Mid-week accomplishments

 Yesterday I had a Doctor's appointment in the afternoon, so we didn't do too much work upstairs in the bedroom. We did have to take down a piece of painted wood paneling so we could get in between the two walls to run some 12/2 wire for a plug on this wall. The wood paneling was holding everything in place. You can clearly see in this photo the very poor condition of the old lathe and plaster walls. When we renovated the rest of the house, we took everything out to the huge 8" by 4" timbers. This time we did not. We decided to screw gyproc right over the old walls. On the exterior wall, we built a new 2'X4' wall which we butted up against the existing wall, insulated it, and then put up the new gyproc.
Under the wood paneling is a mess of falling lathe and plaster
Running new wire for more lights and plugs

Here is a photo of a newer inside wall that already had a new plug and new switch for a  ceiling fixture (the old ceiling fan with 3 light fixtures). This morning we ran a wire from the plug up to a new smoke detector over the door in the hall outside the bedroom, and a new light in the closet with a switch on the wall outside the closet door (the glass French doors). Yours truly had to drill the holes through all 7 studs this morning. We also put up a couple more pieces of drywall not shown. 



Two library pockets to attach to my two mini album page assemblies  
Some stamping and water colouring to make more cards

After returning from my doctor's appointment yesterday, I made a chicken stir fry with frozen red pepper strips, young whole green and purple beans from my garden last summer, frozen broccoli  florets and thin julienned carrot sticks, with frozen chicken pieces that I had taken from thighs I had cooked previously in the crock pot. I stir fried in sesame oil and flavoured with hoisin and garlic sauce. I served it over ramen noodles because my Sweetie doesn't LOVE rice like my son and I do. After supper I did some crafting as pictured above. 

I found out yesterday that my sister has been admitted to hospital with congestive heart disease. They are running tests right now. She was looking after my mom before she went to Jamaica two weeks ago  and arranged to have our step sister check in on her while she was gone. They decided they didn't need my help since I had a lot on my plate at the time. I am still not sure how this may impact the next few weeks. I may or may not be required to go and stay with my mom like I did for a short time between Christmas and New Year's. More to follow on this turn of events. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh geez, Susan, so sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she's OK. At least she was back home and was able to be hospitalized where she can get Canadian health care, and not in Jamaica, the poor woman.

    I'm amazed at all the work you have all done in your house. It takes me 6 months to just paint a room! It's very ingenious for you guys to have built the new walls on top of the old ones.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nathalie. Yes, we are quite worried about her. She has quite a bit of fluid on her lungs yet, and they were unable to start tests yesterday.

    ReplyDelete