Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Coming up for air

The last post I wrote was entitled "I'm almost ready" (for Christmas). I remember it was a race to the wire. Well, I feel like I have been racing ever since. When I got back late New Year's Day from Cobourg, I was completely drained. I needed to sleep, and that I did for three days. Yesterday I unplugged the outdoor lights and took down my indoor Christmas decorations and put them away. Did I not just put them up a few days ago???? I made a quart of my laundry detergent and some more miracle clean for my spray bottles. I made a turkey stock from the frozen Boxing Day turkey carcass and home-made pea  soup with the juices of the New Year's ham. (The bone is still in the freezer) 


Today I did a short grocery shop a la Nathalie. I still have lots in my pantry and freezers, so hopefully I won't need to spend much in January. I have not had time yet to set any goals for 2016, but I am desperate to get back to my frugal ways and into a routine. I felt like Christmas got away on me...money-wise, diet-wise and certainly time-wise. I feel emotionally drained.  
Proteins cost  $27.28
Lean ground hamburger cost $15 for 4 one pound  chubs. The inside boneless blade roast was on sale for  $3.99 a lb and chunk light tuna was 99 cents a tin. 

Produce cost $7.10

Russet potatoes were only 99 cents for a 5 lb bag. This was way cheaper than buying a 10 lb bag of potatoes. The onions cost 99 cents and the tray of tomatoes cost 99 cents on the clearance rack. The cabbage was not on sale but was one of the few fresh vegetables that doesn't cost a small fortune.  Fresh fruits and vegetables have taken a huge leap in price here in Canada.....partly because of the U.S. drought, but mainly because of the declining Canadian dollar. Celery was on my grocery list today, but I refused to pay $3 for a bunch. My hubby opened the package of tomatoes right away to make a toasted tomato sandwich for lunch. I still have frozen  and canned veggies here at home, and I will be on the lookout for some good bargains in the future. 


Dairy cost $1.98

Bread cost $2.98

Groceries cost $9.43
The ketchup cost 3.49 and the soup cost 2 for 99 cents. Everything else was 99 cents each. 

Sundries cost $6.98
I needed the cat litter and tin foil was on sale for 99 cents. My total grocery spend today was $56.65

On January 3rd, I spent $119.30 at Shoppers' Drug Mart, which included my $50 gift card which we use for the whole month to buy staples like milk, bread, eggs, etc, which are the cheapest prices around for these basics. I picked up some grocery items on sale, and my hair colour. I also had to buy antibiotic cream and cold sore patches because I came back from my mother's place with my first ever cold sore. If stress is the cause of cold sores, well then I came by it honestly. Unfortunately, my mother is far worse than anyone knew. Because my stepfather ended up in hospital after a terrible fall, having shattered his hip and broken his arm in two places, and he looked after my mother solely on his own, nobody realized how far her dementia had progressed. There are three of us daughters who are going to try to take turns looking after things over the next few weeks. My sister has had to hire a nurse to go in twice a day to administer her medications. We will have to see what the next few days present. I may have to return to Cobourg sooner than later. Although I took my Blackberry with me, there was no WiFi available. So I was unable to keep you all informed. I will try my best while I am still here. 

Making Miracle Clean for my spray bottles 
Making laundry detergent

4 comments:

  1. Dear Susan, I'm glad you're back posting again, I had been wondering if everything was alright. I'm sorry about your mom, that's got to be really tough. Is your stepdad still in the hospital? It sounds like they're both going to need a lot of help. Good thing there are 3 of you siblings. My brothers must be cursing me for having moved a continent away now that our parents are getting older, although they were quite happy when I shouldered my stepmom's passing pretty much on my own, 2 years ago. I have this horrible fascination (? not the proper word, but it's not obsession either) with Alzheimer's and like conditions, I'm always watching documentaries about it because I have this fear that this is how it will be for me, at the end. My memory is horrible, already so I can't imagine what it'll be 30 or 40 years from now, if I'm still here. I think you said your mom and stepdad live several hours away from you, is that right? Are your sisters any closer?

    Despite your higher food costs, it looks like you got some really good deals... and you got your budgeting categories set up!

    I feel drained too. I think it's all the chocolates and the gray weather. I took the Christmas stuff down yesterday but I haven't put it away. I had planned on working on that today but I ended up going to several thrift stores and to the garage to try to get a tire fixed and when I got back I just didn't feel like doing anything productive. I realized that I had forgotten to put the chicken in the crockpot so I guess I'll be roasting it in the oven with the rest of a bag of fries and serving it with steamed broccoli. There, until I typed this, I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner so thank you for helping me with this!

    Good luck with your mom and stepdad. Are you all looking into having her go into a care facility?

    Also, did your son's girlfriend move in? When are they starting construction on their tiny house?


    Sorry my comment is so disjointed, I haven't slept too well in several days so I'm really tired.

    Take care, Susan. Lots of ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be still tired. This is the second attempt to reply to your comment.
      The girlfriend is not moving in until next month. However, her cat is already moved in. Our animals (a boxer and a cat) have already accepted her presence in the house, but her cat is still very skittish. My hubby and I need to do some plaster work and painting in my son's room before she moves in. My son has been slowly purging everything from his room so we can get in to do some work. She comes every weekend and they stay in the spare bedroom. We have got to get busy on the renovations ASAP.
      Getting my mom into a nursing facility is going to be difficult. My stepdad has her personal power of attorney and neither one of them accepts her diminished capabilities. **Heavy sigh**

      Delete
  2. Nice shopping - were you able to get the bonus points from Shoppers?

    I am so sorry to hear about your mom and dad - health issues are never easy {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley, Yes I was surprised by earning the extra 18,000 points. I didn't realize that it was a special points weekend, and I didn't know I had spent enough to qualify, so YAY!!! It was a nice surprise. I didn't do as well last year as I usually do with SDM, so didn't have enough points before Christmas for a huge "spend your points" event. I resolve to do better in 2016.

      Delete