Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Another Minecraft Birthday

On Saturday morning my Sweetie and I left for Guelph to visit my mom in hospital. It was a good visit (no drama involved), but she quickly forgot who it was that came to see her. She remembered someone had visited but didn't remember who it was. From there we drove to Bradford to celebrate my granddaughter's seventh birthday.
The party theme was Minecraft. I thought my daughter did an amazing job with the decorations. This year was a family birthday party with a barbeque lunch. Both sets of grandparents were invited, her aunt and uncle and two cousins. They played two games of "Pass the Parcel" which they really, really enjoyed.
Green...because that is the colour of Creepers. And pink...because she likes pink.


My daughter made this pinata and filled it well with the kids' favourite treats. 

Some of her birthday presents...love the gift bags
After the party

From there we drove to Cobourg on the way home, to see my step-dad who is still in the Cobourg hospital. He seemed very happy to see us, AND he remembers our visit. We didn't arrive home that night until 8:30 PM. I made a quick soup and sandwich supper. 

Sunday we were up early again to do some grocery shopping at three different shops. I sorted, took pictures and blogged about it. My brother and SIL from Smith Falls were returning from their own trip to see our mother and step-dad. They also drove down on Saturday (later in the day), stayed overnight, and saw the two patients on Sunday morning. They stopped in at our place on their way home and we discussed the situation with our mom. That is when we discovered that mom had forgotten who had come to visit her.

Monday morning was the day it all caught up with me. I slept like a rock until 10 AM. It was a holiday Monday after all so I didn't feel like I had to do much of anything, so I didn't. My son and his GF used the day to craft. They bought some smooth river rocks and paints and created a few garden markers. Here are a couple of their efforts....so cute. 

Garden markers for the veggie garden.

Yesterday I soaked some whites in bleach, washed two large loads of laundry and hung them out to dry.I made a crock pot of new potatoes, chopped cabbage, carrots, tomato and chunks of smoked sausage. So yummy. I spent most of the day responding to blog comments and commenting on others'.

 My Sweetie went to see a doctor yesterday about the results of the ultrasound taken last week. The doctor wanted to make an urgent referral to an orthopedic surgeon about a shoulder replacement, but she called last night when she found out that the Napanee Emergency Ward had also made the same urgent request (unknown to us). Now we are waiting to hear from the hospital this afternoon to learn which surgeon got the referral. While we are waiting, I have finally baked a batch of dog biscuits. I have washed a second load of dishes in the dishwasher. I have brought in the laundry from yesterday, folded and put away. I have washed another load of laundry. I am boiling some new potatoes (with skins on) to make a potato salad to go with BBQ'd hamburgers tonight. It remains very hot and dry. I am watching leaves blow off the trees across the road because they have turned yellow and dried up because of the extreme lack of water. My flower beds have dried right up, but I only water my veggie garden. I cannot afford to lose my harvest. My gardens are made up of mostly native plantings, so I know they will come back next year.  

2 comments:

  1. A shoulder replacement! Neither Greg nor I had ever even heard of such operation (hip and knee, sure, but not shoulder). Good luck to you both with all of that. If it's like the knee replacement, there is pain and rehab but it's worth it from what I'm told (my dad had both knees replaced).

    The river rocks are cute and such a great idea! We don't have river rocks here but I suppose I could buy them at Lowe's. Or just collect some if I ever travel near such a river.

    Your daughter did a great job on the piƱata! I love the gift bag with all the goodies on it. I'll bet that's the one you were referring to, lol.

    Even though your mom forgot who visited, you had a good visit with her and she with you and probably with your brother and SIL too, so that's all you can ask for, I think. If she is aware that she is forgetting so much, it must be terrifying for her. How sad that she doesn't remember her companion. He does so he must miss her, probably. Your sister is going to have her hands full with him at her house.

    You need to make sure you relax as much as you can. You are experiencing a lot of stress on all fronts so keep calm and craft on, ok?

    I hope your garden survives the drought too. It finally rained quite a bit tonight, although not as much as I would have wanted it to. Our trees are losing leaves too (they usually don't lose them until February!). I cut my 2 roses today because they were getting burned by the sun anyway so they might as well be indoors with me. But then I felt guilty about the bugs... but they still have all the weeds in the yard, lol.

    Take care, Susan. Let us know what the orthopedic surgeon says. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Keep Calm and Craft On". I love it. I may craft myself a painted sign to hang in my Craft room.

    We learned the name of the surgeon who got the referral yesterday, but as yet we haven't heard from his office. This morning my Sweetie is going to his previously scheduled appointment with his cardiologist. I told you he has a lot of appointments scheduled in one big bunch.

    ReplyDelete