Sunday, August 7, 2016

Hot and sunny week-end

Friday began with having to change out our kitchen faucet. The retractable faucet broke the night before and needed to be replaced. My Sweetie had pulled out everything from under the sink so he could have a better look at what he needed and then left it all there while he drove into Home  Depot to get the parts. So when I finally crawled out of bed and made it downstairs to have my coffee, that was the mess waiting for me. So I used the opportunity to wash the cupboard (inside and out) and got rid of three cleaners that I will not use. 

In the afternoon, I knew I had more beans to pick but I was surprised at how many were on the plants still. The sweat was pouring off me as I was out there picking. I noticed these two small green peppers were wilting on the plant so I picked them and brought them in. I have since cut them up and put them in the fridge to use this week. I still have peppers in the garden but they look fine. I also sliced up the pork loin I bought the day before into pork chops and only one small roast which I will probably cook up in the crock pot with barbecue sauce to make shredded pork sandwiches at some point. I froze everything but two chops which I decided to roast with some scalloped potatoes for dinner that night. I prepared the lidded casserole dish to pop into the oven, when the phone rang. It was my friend from Charleston Lake, who when she learned what I was going to make for supper, reminded me that she had given me an electric roasting pan for Christmas. "Don't you have an electrical outlet outside on your deck?", she asked.  

Third harvest from my burgundy bean plants
Oh my God. I can't believe I had forgotten about this appliance. I have used it this past winter to cook turkeys and roasts, but I never thought of using it in the summer, as an outdoor oven. She explained to me that between this and the barbecue, there is no reason to use your oven inside. She even bakes pies and desserts in this roaster. It has a thermostat on the front of it. So I put the casserole dish inside, turned it on, and had a little rest before dinner in my air-conditioned bedroom. Dinner was scrumptious.  

My electric roasting pan is now my new favourite appliance. 
Yesterday was Saturday. My friend who is recovering from surgery drove herself to my house and picked me up to spend the day away with her.  She is no longer in need of walking with a walker. She is recovering very quickly and we spent the day shopping like the old days. We went to Giant Tiger in Napanee. I bought some grocery specials, including two 400 gm blocks of cheddar cheese for $3.44 each. After we spent quite a bit of time there, we went to the Chit Chat Cafe to buy lunch. I ate a chicken Caesar wrap and a cold V8 juice and she ate an all-day breakfast. We next went to our very favourite Hardware store (Home Hardware) and took our time browsing. I hadn't planned on buying anything, but I found Finish Dishwasher detergent on for 1/2 price, a stocking stuffer, and AA solar rechargeable batteries. We both love to take our time in this store. There are all kinds of unexpected little treasures.

From there we drove to the village of Bath. I think we went inside every shop on the Main Street. It was so much fun, I didn't get home until 4:30  I have officially spent my total August household budget in the first week of August. I won't be required to spend any more this month as I have everything I need and I still have the rest of my gift card for milk, bread, etc. at Shoppers Drug Mart. But it is scary all the same, knowing that the household budget is gone. If I need any more money, it will have to come from elsewhere in the budget. That, my friends, is why I hate going out shopping. 

Today was spent in the kitchen. No, it did not rain Friday night as promised. And this weekend is still 30 degrees Celcius, so not cooler as promised. But I decided I needed to make muffins with some over ripe bananas from the freezer and 2 dozen zucchini muffins with one of the huge zucchinis from the garden. I also made a meat spaghetti sauce for a spaghetti supper tonight and pizza later in the week. I am done now. ....done like dinner. I will catch up on the Olympics tonight and then watch a few more episodes of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. We have finished Downton Abbey (thank you again Nathalie) and Breaking Bad, so looking for more to watch. See you tomorrow. 






3 comments:

  1. I read your post yesterday but waited to comment because I was lazy :)

    I can't believe all the beans you're getting! I see on your other post that you said even the farmers' market doesn't have any. How do you water your veggie garden? Do you have sprinklers? Do you do the micro watering method (It's probably called something else but I can't remember what)?

    When I saw your roaster and read that your friend cooks all kinds of things in it, I jumped immediately on Amazon and researched those. What a great idea! I don't need another kitchen appliance and I wouldn't know where to store it but being able to cook outdoors without heating up the house would be awesome. The only thing is that we only have 1 outlet outside and it's been tripping with just my laptop hooked up to it so with my luck I'd be thinking dinner was being cooked and then nothing would be. Still, I might ask for one for my birthday if I can't think of anything else.
    I do want to make a solar oven, it's been my to-do list for years but I'm far too lazy to make it, lol.

    Your muffins look delicious! I take it you didn't bake them in the roaster though?

    How do you like Grace and Frankie? I love, love, love that show. I was reading that Lily Tomlin is 76 or 78, I sure hope she lives long enough for several more seasons because she's a hoot! And I can't watch Law & Order anymore without picturing Sam Waterston as "Sol", which actually makes him more enjoyable as a character for me. ha.

    I'm so happy you had such a great day with your friend and that she is back to normal! It really sounds like you two had a great time, lunch and shopping and chatting. I want to do this with my BFF sometime soon but now that she's back to working it's going to be challenging (her daughter is in dance too so that keeps her extremely busy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just use an oscillating sprinkler in the centre of the garden, and we are only allowed to water every other day. That's enough. It would be better to use soaking hoses but that would be a LOT of hose we would need to go up and down each row.

    I could have, and should have, used the roaster last night for the zucchini bake, but it was the first time trying the recipe, so I did use my oven. I will try baking muffins in it the next time. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Casseroles are absolutely perfect. I wouldn't try baking except that my friend says she does it all the time. I mean, she bakes pies in it!!!

    My Sweetie and I are loving that show "Grace and Frankie". We just started episode Two last night. Lily Tomlin makes that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a roasting oven at the thriftstore today, quasi brand new, and it was more expensive than I would have hoped (for a thrift store) but it was cheaper than on Amazon so I bought it. I'm cooking my meatloaf in it right now, although I am using it indoors because it was raining earlier. However, I think that I'll use it on my tiled and covered front porch in the future. I'll have to get the extension cord for the generator since I believe it is rated high enough for such an appliance, and run it under the front door since we don't have an outside outlet. I might just pay for an electrician to install one on the front porch, it's been a pain all these years not to have one!

      Delete