Tuesday, August 9, 2016

It is Tuesday afternoon and I am just sitting down to write Monday's post. I feel like I have done nothing today except clear out a few digital pictures from my files. I guess it is a necessary purge, but not what I had planned to do this day. 

Yesterday was busy however. Here is the harvest from the garden. We got our first ripened tomatoes, another cucumber, two more zucchini, our first ripe cayenne peppers and more burgundy beans. Because they are the first ripened tomatoes of the year, we ate toasted tomato sandwiches for lunch and I made a salad with the cherry tomatoes and cucumber last night, along with some grilled sausage and cheesy zucchini bites. Nathalie recommended this dish and it was amazing.  

Monday's harvest

This batch of strawberry jam did not set for me. How disappointing.

With the strawberries I bought on Thursday, I made another batch of jam. I did everything the same, but this time it did not set. I don't know what happened. Too hot maybe??? I have been in an ugly mood since I discovered my failed jam this morning, so I haven't done any projects today...just the usual dishes and laundry. How does a family of only four people have more than two dishwasher loads of dishes every day?

I am glad this day is almost over with. I will make hamburgers for supper, watch some more Grace and Frankie on Netflix, and go to bed early. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful crop! Do you freeze your beans?

    I have no idea what could have happened with your jam as I am not a canner. Can you use it as ice cream topping? Syrup for pancakes (yum!)? Plop it on the batter of the Summer Strawberry cake that I bake all the time instead of fresh strawberries? http://imperfectlyfrugally.blogspot.com/2015/06/recipe-strawberry-summer-cake.html

    I need to clear digital pictures too. I take a million photos, download them all to my laptop and never delete the bad ones. I could probably free up a whole terabyte of space right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually going to try and can the beans this summer. I have never canned before, and the beans sounded like they would be an easy first project. But it is just too hot to do that, and with the failed freezer jam I decided I didn't want to go there. So I have been freezing all of them so far.

      For now, I have put the jars of jam in the fridge. I will look for recipes that maybe I could use it up, including your strawberry cake.

      Delete
  2. Looking at the wonderful fresh veggies you got from your garden makes me wish that I grew things in mine but I don't like gardening mainly because I dont like bugs.

    I'm sorry your jam didn't work out how you wanted it to. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider myself a gardener of vegetables. And frankly after the heat and drought we have experienced this summer, I don't consider myself a gardener of flowers either. But I consider tomatoes, cucumbers and beans to be easy plants to grow, especially if you buy the cucumber and tomato starts at the nursery. They seem to grow in spite of you. *laugh*

      Delete