Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wednesday's post on Thursday

This is the post I meant to send out yesterday; but as usual, I ran out of time. I was busy in the kitchen after I went out to pick the harvest from the garden. Our larger tomato plants are starting to produce red tomatoes now. I also found a red pepper that was almost completely turned red but was knocked down on the ground by the Monday rain. I brought it in so that it could finish ripening inside. I also brought in two more cucumbers and some more cayenne peppers.


Most of these tomatoes will be cored and put into quart sized freezer bags. When a recipe calls for a large tin of tomatoes, I will take a bag out, pour boiling water over these tomatoes, and the skins will slip right off. When the cayenne peppers have completely dried, I will grind them.

I picked another quart of burgundy beans. The plants that I thought were drying up and not going to produce much more, have more buds on them after the rain. I only planted one cherry tomato plant, but it is producing well. We can not use these up fast enough, so I have also been freezing these. They make a great addition to homemade soups. 


And speaking of soups, I put a whole turkey carcass from the freezer into the crock pot on Tuesday night and simmered into soup stock all night. After preparing the veggies from the garden, I picked all the meat from the bones and poured the stock into a container for the fridge. Today I will take the fat from the top and put the pure meat stock into the freezer to make soup later in the Fall. Because the bones were so meaty, I decided to wrap them in cheesecloth and boil them again on top of the stove. I got another lot of soup stock which I will mix with the first. I got quite a bit of turkey meat from this carcass, so I will divide it between the two containers of soup base. 

I got a call from my friend (who had abdominal surgery). She has been using another friend's car for the last two weeks and wanted to return it yesterday. The other friend lives on Amherst Island and has not been using it lately because she is needing surgery early in September. We each of us drove to the ferry. I parked my car on this side, rode over with her in the friend's car, had tea and a chat until the next ferry, and then we  walked on the ferry for the ride back. I was then able to use my car to drive her home. It sounds a little complicated, but was a nice respite from all the kitchen work I was doing. I knew I wouldn't be back until late, so I prepared a Big Salad for dinner with romaine lettuce, a cucumber and cherry tomatoes from the garden. I grilled a large chicken breast which I sliced thinly to go on top of the salad. 

I had planned to go into Kingston yesterday morning, but changed my mind. I will wait to go to the Bulk Barn until next month's food budget. (Remember I ran out of August's budget? I don't NEED to get anything this month) My Sweetie has pool therapy this morning, so he took in the recycling and the drop-off for Value Village. I also got to talk to my mother by phone yesterday. She is sounding very good. She didn't receive the get well card I sent her because she was moved last week, so I will have to send her another. My sister has found a place for them both. It isn't ideal, but they are on a waiting list for the first choice. 

So there you have it....yesterday's post. I hope to write something later today. 

4 comments:

  1. Look at all that free food you've harvested! Ah, I remember the days of panicking when looking at the tomatoes that I had harvested but it was fun too (and I don't think I harvested as much as you did! That cherry plant is very prolific!).

    It was extremely smart of you to reuse the bones a second time to make more stock. I'm hoping to be successful in trying to make that Better Than Bouillon soup base concentrate with the whole chicken that I bought, only because it could be something else that I don't have to buy, but the only instructions that I could find for it were pretty vague. I'm planning on just leaving everything in the crockpot for a very long time and see just how much I can get compared to buying an 8 oz jar for $4+ dollars. Or I might just say "F*** it!" and go to Walmart to buy it with a Swagbucks gift card and just roast the chicken in that electric roaster that you MADE me buy, lol.

    Yay for realizing that you didn't need anything else this month and avoiding a trip that would have put you over budget. Sometimes we do things on auto pilot without thinking much, I do that a lot, so it's always nice when we realize that we could change our plans and it would be for the better all around and really not affect our everyday life AND also save us money!

    You're very good at planning your dinners ahead so you don't run out of energy to cook when you come back from your adventures. I make the plans but rarely the prep (because I'm lazy). I kind of wish I had followed through with packing a picnic for the zoo yesterday, but it was hot outside so when I think of it, it was nice to eat indoors in the air conditioned restaurant instead of at a picnic table in the zoo parking lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I would roast that chicken in the roaster I MADE you buy, take the meat off of it for your meal, and then put the carcass, and drippings, in the crock pot with some veggies (or peelings of veggies if you happen to collect them in the freezer), add water and seasonings and voila....soup stock. You can take more meat off the bones and/or add some meat left over from the roast chicken meal. I use this stock to make soup. If I want to add stock to a recipe, I buy unsalted bouillon powder that I buy from the Bulk Barn and keep in a glass jar to keep out of the humidity.

    Buying lunch at the Zoo I think was very wise. You were right to get out of that 102 degree heat in the middle of your tour to relax and replenish. You would not have lasted as long as you did. If you had walked out of that park to picnic in that heat, you would not have returned. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have made chicken stock with the bones and veggies before but what I'm trying to recreate is the soup base concentrate. Better than Bouillon isn't liquid, it's like a high concentrated paste that you reconstitute with water and it makes everything very very delicious without taking up all the space that the regular chicken stock takes in my freezer (plus then I don't need to remember to unearth it from the freezer and defrost it for several hours before using it). But it's so expensive so I was hoping to find a copycat recipe. I've never found salt-free chicken bouillon although maybe I need to look for it again at Walmart. There aren't any bulk stores close to me :(

      We did end up walking out of the zoo in the middle of our visit and then going back in, because my daughter had left the cable for recharging her phone with her extra battery in the car! It helped that we knew there was a show that we wanted to watch at 3 p.m. otherwise, yes, we might have left because we were so hot. She has decided to wear tight jeans instead of shorts, which was a huge mistake. Teens!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that sounds scrumptious. Maybe it is worth the extra cost. Let me know how long it takes to boil it down.

    ReplyDelete