Monday, August 8, 2016

Daybook: Monday, Aug 8/16

Outside my window.....temperatures are heating up again. It is very, very dry. My flower beds are done.

I am thinking....that rain is never going to come.

I am thankful for....the garden veggies that are coming in for us. We got our first ripe tomatoes off the vine this morning. We are getting plenty of beans when some farmer's markets are not even selling any. The beans have dried up in the fields.

From the kitchen....I baked a dozen banana muffins and 2 dozen zucchini muffins yesterday. The overripe bananas came from the freezer, and if I make Nathalie's cheesy zucchini bites tonight I will have used up two zucchinis overall. I also made a meat sauce for spaghetti last night, another serving for the freezer and some left for pizza later this week. I have to make strawberry jam today with the 3 lbs of berries I bought on Thursday.

I am wearing....denim capris that are wearing thin (I have worn them so much) and a blue printed t-shirt.

I am creating.....no more cards until I can buy more 2-way tape.

I am going......out to the garden this morning to bring in today's harvest. I am not planning any outings today, as I was out running the roads all day Saturday.

I am hoping..... that I can get back to purging and cleaning this week.

I am hearing.....my window fan on beside me, the occasional highway traffic driving by, and the TV is on quietly in the living room (I can't make out what is on).

Around the house....the housework is piling up. Every room in the house needs vacuuming and the floors should be mopped. But it is too hot to do it. I will be washing up more laundry today.

One of my favourite things.......this week has been my electric roaster, which my girlfriend had to remind me about. She gave it to me at Christmas so that I could use it outdoors on the deck as an outdoor oven. I could be cooking all my oven meals outside. She has gone so far as to bake in it. I will need to get on that wagon.

A few plans for the rest of the week......involve surviving the heat. This Canadian girl doesn't like the heat much. This week-end is our "Girls' Week-end" Yippee! We are going across the border to Watertown, New York for Friday and Saturday Night. On the way we will stop at the Thousand Island Park at Fineview, to see an early American town built in the 1800's. We will have dinner there at the Wellesley Hotel. We have our Girls' weekend every year when we shop, play board games, have a few drinks and laugh a lot. It is great fun.

Here is a picture I am sharing.....Would you believe this is my beautiful garden? Don't worry. It will come back.



2 comments:

  1. I scrolled down slowly so I didn't see the 2nd picture of your garden right away and thought the 1st one was the "dried up" one and wondering what exactly had died, lol. Then I saw the 2nd picture and I audibly gasped and said "oh no!" and Greg was wondering what catastrophe had happened! Yes, it will come back but wow, what a difference. I hope you get sustained some rain very soon!

    One of my favorite pair of shorts finally was worn too thin last week and ripped in the wash in several places. I was hoping to be able to mend it so I could wear it at home, but one of the tears is in the crotch and now that I'm going to be driving my son to school and possibly running errands more frequently, I'd hate to forget about it and then show up at Publix with my knickers peeking through the tears, lol.

    Did you make the cheesy zucchini bites? Did you like them?

    I can't believe that it's already time for your Girls' Weekend! It sounded like it was so far in the future when you talked about it last! I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends. Knowing you, you'll be cooking for your family before you leave so they don't have to fend for themselves. Have you thought of what you'll cook yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the cheesy zucchini bites last night for dinner, with a side salad and grilled sausage. Next time I will not add the table salt as the seasoned salt and parmesan cheese made it salty enough; but, how wonderfully delicious and EASY to make. I loved it. My Sweetie had some (but he isn't keen on zucchini), and I invited my son's GF to try some. She loved it as well. This is definitely a keeper. Maybe the next time I will add some crumbled bacon to entice my hubby to take TWO pieces.

    Yes it did sound like my Girls' Weekend was far into the future. Well, guess what. It "snuck up" on me. But I am looking forward to it. I will not be making meals ahead for my family *gasp* My son and GF cook their own meals, so my Sweetie is off the hook for that. It is only two nights, so he will make whatever he wants and he will be good with that.

    ReplyDelete