Friday, August 19, 2016

Happy Weekend

Yesterday was middle son's birthday. I had hoped to write another blog post yesterday afternoon, but we were busy instead preparing for last night's dinner. His GF wanted to cook dinner and birthday cupcakes for him, but also included his dad and I in the celebration. She had never made cake from scratch before and wanted my help. I am sure it would have turned out regardless, but I gave her a few instructions and tips. While the cupcakes were cooling, I vacuumed the main downstairs rooms (kitchen, dining room and living room) while my son's GF went out to pick up the ingredients for dinner and a few decorations. We threw up a few banners and balloons and for a little more silliness, we wore mustaches instead of birthday hats during dinner. THAT, actually was a LOT of fun. We put out the ingredients to make our own tacos with soft tortillas (using a few of our garden picked tomatoes). They left this morning for Toronto for the weekend. They weren't sure where they were going to go before they left, but mentioned Casa Loma, the ROM, and the Science Centre. We won't know which attractions they see until they come home on Sunday. 
The card I made for him and put cold, hard cash inside. It is well sealed behind those riveted metal plates. 

We wore mustaches at the dinner party. It was so fun.

Today's chores accomplished:   I unloaded the dishwasher first thing this morning and then filled it up and did a second load. 

 I will spare you yet another picture of the garden produce, but I did go out and pick 3 more red peppers, 10 more large tomatoes, a handful of beans and two handfuls of cherry tomatoes. I washed and prepared them for the freezer. 

I grated the remaining 3 zucchinis and  measured out nine cups. Tomorrow I will make muffins with 3 cups of grated zucchini that I have set aside in the fridge with raisins and walnuts.  With the remaining 6 cups,  I have measured 2 bags of  3 cups each for the freezer. 

I washed three large loads of laundry and hung almost all of it outside on the line. I will wait until after 7 PM to put the bed sheets and mattress cover in the dryer. 

I made my pitcher of iced tea this morning and have been enjoying it all afternoon. 

I wrote up two more get well cards and got them in the mail. 

I made up a jar of homemade taco seasoning for my son and his GF for their spice shelf. I want to make "Ten Things Farm" chicken seasoning that Nathalie makes. I also NEED to make another jar of homemade laundry detergent as I am almost out after all the wash I did today. 

It's Friday. Have a GREAT weekend. 



7 comments:

  1. Wearing mustaches does sound like fun! So which one were you? Happy birthday to your son!

    I have also been brewing fruity herbal tea most days with my new iced tea pitcher and then drinking it all day. And I think of you when I brew it! These past couple of days I brewed Celestial's True Blueberry. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was "shifty" (the one on the bottom.) I wore it all through the meal, but took it off when I got icing on my mustache. Yes. I ate a cupcake...so sue me. I pretty much HAD to, don't you think?

    Mmmm. Blueberry iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shifty was the one I pictured on you, actually, hahaha. And yes, you HAD to have a cupcake to celebrate a birthday! I'm going to have cheesecake to celebrate my daughter's after all!

      Delete
  3. What a fun party! And of course you had to have a cupcake! I've been motivated to make more of my seasonings since reading Nathalie's blog. Right now I mostly make taco seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made "Ten Things Farm" chicken seasoning and added it to chicken legs last night. It was really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you tried it! Isn't it the best?! I love it.

      Delete
    2. It WAS as good as you claimed it was. It even bit me back a little....just the way we like it.

      Delete